Returnil on all the time?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by caspian, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Hi Coldmon. I saw in another thread that you recommended keeping Returnil on all of the time. Except to do Microsoft updates. Is this necessary? I turn it on ever time I turn my computer on.....before I go to any websites. But it is not on automatically. I just right click and turn it on before I do anything. Is this okay?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi caspian,
    Of course it is, but this configuration does not take full advantage of RVS and what it can do for the long term security of your computer. The component parts of RVS are designed to work as a team, and when you activate the virtualization when surfing the "wild side", you ARE taking advantage of this synergy. When the virtualization is deactivated however, you are reverting to a traditional approach with all of its obvious shortcomings...

While this is not necessarily bad, it is riskier than using RVS as intended. Without the virtualization component you run the risk that you or your other security solutions will miss an infection of your real system with all of the implications, frustrations, and wasted time that entails.

Mike

3. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I use it "on demand". I flip it on when I am going to do any surfing or try out some new software to see how it works. The main use I have for Returnil is my 2 year old son. When ever I hear him coming down the stairs I flip Returnil on. Then he can hit the buttons and wiggle the mouse and I don't break out in a sweat that he is going to screw something up. Simple reboot after he is gone puts me right back into business.

4. Coldmoon

Does the restart clear the delayed write?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  5. Threedog

Ya lost me on that question? :D

6. Coldmoon

Sorry, had my mind on Uli's report in the other forum - please disregard...

Mike

7. Threedog

LOL. I kind of figured that.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Okay. I will start using it this way. So whenever I get a notification of an update, I just right click and choose "exit the program" and then do the updates?

Also an anti-executable feature was mentioned. Is that something that I have to configure? Or does it just recognize when something that was not originally on my system is trying to do something?

I know my questions are pretty elementary compared to most of the users here so just think of me as your Special Ed member.....LOL:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.