Returnil configuration when using Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by petruss, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petruss

petruss Registered Member

I have been using Sandboxie for a couple of weeks and now have a good grasp on it's usage and I now consider it an indispensable part of my security arsenal.

I have now "discovered" Returnil and I really like the concept of protection that it offers. I will very likely purchase the premium edition (currently using trial version) once I get a better grasp on it's usage and configuration.

How do I configure Returnil to "co-exist" with Sandboxie? That is to say, I want to retain all of the functionality of Sandboxie and I want to be able to keep sandboxed files and bookmarks that I have saved during my Sandboxed sessions (as I do now), while running Returnil. I assume that I use the Returnil File Manager to specify certain folders or files but I'm not clear yet on how to allow an application such as Sandboxie. Do I add the Sandboxie program file to the list or maybe the Sandboxie program folder? Any guidance will be appreciated.

I know that I can manually commit files to real hard disk in explorer, but I mainly want to be able to use Sandboxie as I do now (retaining saved sandboxed files, bookmarks, browser sessions etc between reboots) while Returnil protects my system outside the sandbox.

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No special config. needed at all. For instance I have added my Opera
    browser bookmarks, notes etc. to the Returnil File Manager (just click
    Add File or Add Folder. Then in Sandboxie ensure that under Sandbox
    Settings > Resource Access > File Access > Direct Access you have also
    added the same. Same applies to email - for Outlook Express add the
    Identities folder. Remember to 'Save List' after you have added what you
    want. Before rebooting remember to 'Update Selected' either in File Manager
    or via the tray icon otherwise what you thought was saved will be gone
    on reboot.
    If you recover say an .exe from the Sandbox to C:\ drive you can ensure
    that it will be saved on reboot by r/clicking on it and 'commit selected to hard disk'
    but you already know this.

Ideally you would have a separate partition for your data. Returnil won't
    touch that - it will only protect your system partition C:\
    Returnil and Sandboxie are a great combination in my opinion.

PS. You need to use disc caching ( not memory caching ) to have file manager functionality.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. petruss

Thank you Ocky for your suggestions! This is exactly what I was looking for and is a tremendous help. I "discovered" Returnil only by chance when I had a little problem with Sandboxie and I was googling the issue and found a reference to Returnil and the concept sounded intriguing. I am now a solid fan of Returnil.

Thank you again for helping me learn how to use Sandboxie and Returnil together. I agree with you that Sandboxie and Returnil are a great combinaton! :D

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

If you run an AV, your definition updates will be lost on reboot.
    In my case I always use Returnil in Session Lock mode so that
    System Protection is off when I boot-up in the morning.
    I then take a few minutes to update the AV and one or two on
    demand scanners before enabling Returnil.
    Of course you can always try to ferret out all the locations that the
    AV updates save to and then add them to File Manager - but it's
    easy to overlook one or other location and with Avira for instance
    it's not sufficient to simply add the program folder. (There are entries
    made to the registry, system32 folder etc. especially with engine updates).

Before I forget - Welcome to Wilders !

5. petruss

Ocky, Thank you again for your guidance. You have helped me tremendously. I like to keep things as simple as possible so I will adopt your routine of manual av/malware updates, on demand scans etc before enabling Session Lock. This will work very well for me.

I am finding a lot of great ideas and discussions here in the various forums. I can see now that I will be spending a lot of time here at Wilders.

Also thank you very much for the welcome!

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

It was trying to find a way to update AV with Returnil that brought me to Wilders in the first place. It's been an illuminating experience. I'm sure you will enjoy.

You are doing the right thing by updating then initiating session lock. As far as my researches have gone it is very difficult if not impossible to update AV using Returnil File Manager. Standard definition updates are usually easy to find and include but the average AV update can include too many variations of definitions + programme updates + registry changes to cover properly.

Cheers

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I have been using Returnil for about a year now and I also got into the habit of manually updating the AV (if I happen to be running one) before I go into session lock. I only use the AV for detection....don't care about cleanup as Returnil takes care of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.