Returnil beta does have some issues

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by trjam, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

With Vista at least. It happened last night and I did as instructed tonight and it happened again. I am a little cautious of it now. After saving some files and then exiting out of it, on reboot chkdsk popped up and ran. It said it had to reparse 44 records and show a bunch of orphaned files, whatever all the hell that means. But enough for me to wait until the beta is ready.

2. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I had the same thing happen with Returnil v.1.70 and Vista. After chkdsk finished I had something similar with reparse records and orphans. After chkdsk and the reboot was finished, I opened Firefox, and I got the welcome screen you get when you first install Firefox. I don't know what was up, but I installed a backup image to recover from whatever happened. I'm not planning on using Returnil again anytime soon.

3. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Not to sound rude, but thank goodness I'm still with XP = no problems with latest beta. :)

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Cloudcroft,
    Do you remember if you recieved any warning or error messages? If yes, do you remember the exact text?

Mike

5. Cloudcroft

Hi Mike...no, there weren't any error messages. I rebooted to clear a session, and everything was fine until the chkdsk screen appeared. I let chkdsk run, and I received results similar to those described by trjam. After the notebook finished booting, I opened Firefox, and as I mentioned, it had the appearance of a fresh install. I had started session lock to install Yahoo messenger for my daughter who was visiting, and was using Returnil to get rid of it when she left. Besides the chkdsk issue, everything else seemed to work fine. Yahoo messenger was gone after the reboot. This is probably the first time I've used v1.70 since upgrading from the previous version. I used the previous version a few times on the Vista machine, and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure if there is any correlation there, but thought I'd mention it.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I would hazard a guess and say that using RN's disk cache is or might be conflicting with Vista's superfetch feature which tries to load apps into memoryo_O

7. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Just a note to let you all know we are aggressively researching these reports. To date it seems to be rare and is proving to be difficult to isolate.

To this end I want to try and explore similarities in the systems that this occurs on. For all of those who have run into this, it would be helpful if you could describe your set up in detail:

1) Make and model
    2) DeskTop? Laptop?
    3) Pre-installed factory recovery features? If yes, what application
    4) Other ISR solutions?
    5) Security applications?
    6) XP? Vista?
    7) Does this occur with 2.0 or did you also experience this in 1.70?

Please be sure to capture the text of any/all error messages if possible.

Thanks
    Mike

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Mike

I know you're already looking at my issue but to keep things going here's my list.

1/ Acer Aspire 1355 XC - AMD Athlon XP-M 2600 256M DDR SDRAM
    2/ Laptop
    3/ None - (to my knowledge)
    4/ None - Acronis True Image V8 is installed with Secure Zone and Acronis Recovery Manager
    5/ Online Armor plus Firewall beta version. SafeSpace latest version. Roboform is only other app at start up
    6/ XP Home SP2
    7/ Only 2.0 - V1.7 ran very well with no issues I can recall

9. Cloudcroft

Hi Mike-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.