Restricted Sites

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by coolperson987, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolperson987

coolperson987 Registered Member

Does SpywareBlaster block the restricted sites in both IE and Firefox? I'm asking this because it only mentions IE...

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Restricted Sites protection applies to Internet Explorer and many other programs/browsers that embed the Internet Explorer engine to display content.

As you correctly noted, this does not include Firefox.

I hope this helps! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. coolperson987

Thanks for the reply!:) Will the next version of SpywareBlaster include restricted sites protection for Firefox??

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Seconded!

I'm shocked to learn that restricted sites does not apply to Firefox! So there's no advantage (apart from the odd cookie) to using Spyware Blaster if you use Firefox?

5. Biscuit

I could do with an answer to this, I've been installing Spyware Blaster on all my customer pcs -apparently for no purpose!

6. Biscuit

In lieu of a reply from Javacool, should Firefox users uninstall Spyware Blaster? o_O

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

The advantages exist regardless of your personal use of Internet Explorer for general web browsing.

SpywareBlaster's Internet Explorer and Restricted Sites protect: Internet Explorer, any Internet Explorer-powered browsers, and other programs that embed the Internet Explorer engine (there are many - even some security utilities have used the Internet Explorer engine internally). It's absolutely critical to reduce the attack surface area for all of cases, and that obviously applies whether you use Internet Explorer all of the time or not.

For other browsers, we've built in the protection that makes sense for them (i.e. not just the "kitchen sink" approach that often results in unnecessary code that slows everything down). For Firefox, the current version of SpywareBlaster primarily deals with ad / tracking cookies. (The browser doesn't support ActiveX, so that eliminates the need for ActiveX protection.) Some other types of protection (for example, against pop-ups) aren't really needed because Firefox blocks them by default, and adding protection against them currently requires bloating things considerably.

There is, of course, always room to expand the protection - but we will only do so if we can ensure it doesn't compromise the basic goal of SpywareBlaster: providing protection without interfering with your system, without slowing things down, etc.

Ultimately, what you do with your system is, of course, up to you. :) But given that SpywareBlaster offers many different types of sensible protection for a whole host of browsers, does so without consuming any CPU or memory or slowing your system down, and is built to be an effective layer with almost any other combination of security/privacy tools, I'd be remiss to suggest anything but installing it. ;)

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. coolperson987

I would like to see Firefox have some type of restricted sites protection. Even if it doesn't have active x controls, there still needs to be some form of protection from risky sites.
    Internet explorer is losing market share fast to Firefox... so i think the sensible thing to do is give Spywareblaster restricted sites protection for Firefox!:)

9. Biscuit

Thank you for your reply Javacool.

I would agree with Coolperson987 that restricted site protection for Firefox seems to be missing at the moment.

10. Alan Baxter

Alan Baxter Registered Member

Firefox 3 has that protection built in. It's called the Anti-Malware and Anti-Phishing protection. It's enabled by default.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/#security

11. coolperson987

I would still like to see SpywareBlaster block restricted sites for Firefox. The Anti-phishing and Anti-malware blockers in Firefox do not catch everything... so I would feel much safer if i had protection from both Firefox and SpywareBlaster.:)

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I might be wrong, but, I do believe that Firefox also makes use of IE's Zone settings.

I might be wrong.

Perhaps, someone can give their thoughts on this one.

Best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.