Restoring system drive backup on the same drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by farazfastian, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farazfastian

farazfastian Registered Member

hi all,

I'm new to Acronis and i'v done little research on the forum regarding the issue but didnt foud something exact, sorry for the basic questions as i'v very less time to do it, heres my situation:

I'v winxp sp2 with vista transformation pack installed and i'v acronis backup of my c: drive (system drive), i'v got 2 more partitions for the personal data. My laptop is hp pavilion dv5000t and i installed winxp on it after a long pain, as it has SATA drive and windows installation doesnt support it, so i want verification of acronis restore process before doing it, heres wat i'v in my mind

I'll do a Partition/drive Restore from the windows running on same harddrive which i want to restore, i'v few questions in it
    - is it okee if i do restore from the same windows on which i want to restore the old one
    - my other partitions will be intact or it'll wipe them out

plz reply, thanks

regards
    faraz

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Assuming the Vista transformation pack doesn't do anything like changing the file structure (TI doesn't support Vista yet):

You can restore an image of your C partition to your existing C partition by starting the process in Windows. TI cannot restore a system partition from within Windows so it will boot into the Linux recovery environment when it actually does the restore of C. The only thing is that your image file cannot be located on C or any partition being restored.

Your other partitions will be left alone as long as the image you are restoring is for C only.

Suggest you check the box telling TI to validate the archive before restoring so it will not wipe your partition if it cannot validate the archive. This can be set in the restore wizard under options.

3. farazfastian

farazfastian Registered Member

thanks for the quickk reply, my backup is on the other partition of the same hardrive, so i'll be restoring fromt there, 2nd thing i dont understand when TI will restart the pc then from where it'll load the linux recovery.. from windows program files or wat?

regards
    faraz

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There are 2 main ways to have the Linux recovery environment loaded.

1. By booting the TI rescue CD and selecting Full. The Safe option offered is DOS and uses some BIOS routines. This may not provide USB access on many motherboards!

2. By starting TI within Windows and telling it you wish to restore an image to the partition Windows runs in, typically C. After TI gathers the data from the Restore Wizard, it will tell you it needs to reboot to restore the partition. When it reboots it loads the Linux environment from files contained on your HD. This is the same environment as the Full option on the Rescue CD.

Things you should do before you do anything else:

Upgrade to the latest build of TI if you haven't. Upgrades are free but you have to register your copy first.

Make a rescue CD from the version you are running if you haven't done so. When everything is broken you have to be able to run this rescue CD in order to restore an image.

Boot up with the rescue CD and make sure you can select and validate an image as a minimum test that it should work when doing a restore. If you can't do this, don't do anything else until you find the reason for the failure.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Faraz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'd also like to add a few points to the list posted by seekforever:

- Read Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide

- Take a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 Home online FAQ

- Read this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage

- Take a look at Acronis Public Knowledge Base.

If you have any further questions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.