Restoring partitions over an earlier restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brachd, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brachd

brachd Registered Member

At present I cannot access my latest backup because of a network problem.
    I have had to replace my HD so in order to start again I had available a backup which was two years old. I have restored this successfully.
    What I want to know is can I restore the latest backup over the previous one with no resulting probnlems.
    My partitions are C main programmes D additional programmes E My own data and E backup
    I intend to restore each partition seperately.
    Are there any pitfalls?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

When you restore the latest backup image to a partition, all the current data in that partition will be gone and only the data from the new image will be present. There shouldn't be any problems as long as you restore C and D together since these both have program information.

3. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Thank you for your reply and helpful advice.
    In the case of my own data would that apply as well?
    Sorry to be so long in replying but I have just had a hernia op.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello brachd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Generally we recommend backing up/restoring entire hard disks to make sure the partition configuration is preserved.
    However you shouldn't face any problems with the restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Anton Sherkhonov

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've done this on my home computer without any problems.

I've done this even on a zero-ed system partition, but in that case you will need your Acronis Bootable Rescue CD to restore one of your images, because your OS is gone completely.
    Until now I couldn't break ATI, it works flawless :D

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, brachd

I am with ErikAlbert, I aways do a at lest a wipe or edit with zero before a restore or clone [it has become habit :eek: ]. Acroni true Image 7 Restore

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

All the data on a partition is replaced with the data from a backup when it is restored. If you had new email and restored last week's image, you'd lose all the email since last week. If you saved a new document in My Documents this week, it would be gone when you restored last week's image. Gone means unrecoverable and forever gone.

OK, here's a way to make life better. Make an image (even if the drive is corrupted or infected) just before restoring an older image. You can mount the image and recover your up-to-date data files from it.

This is more reliable that just copying the data you want to save to another drive before restoring the older image because you might forget something. The image you made just before the restore will have everything, and you can get it back.

8. brachd

brachd Registered Member

If I restore C & D together will there not be a single restore point namely C.
    If this is the case it would suit me as I regretted splitting my progammes into 2 C & D?

9. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Thanks for that tip. I can see the email etc being easily copie & restored but over the last few weeks I have written a number of different documents andI don't have a clear memory where they are. I don't think there is a way of getting round that because if I made a false copy I would have a job searching for the altered documents

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello brachd,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image allows you to restore the entire hard drive as well as any of your partitions separately from the entire hard drive image. It even allows you to change the size of partitions during the image restoration process (see Chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide). However, it does not allow you to merge two partitions into one upon their restoration or at any other time. We recommend that you use special partitioning\disk managing software such as Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 for these purposes.

Actually, there is no need to search for the altered files when you create new entire hard drive image as all data currently persisting on this drive will be included into the resulting image archive. If you want to backup only the data changed since last backup has been created then we recommend that you take into account the ability to create incremental\differential images (see section 3.2 of the User's Guide mentioned above).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.