Restoring HOSTS file

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by sohailakmal, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sohailakmal

sohailakmal Registered Member

I was wondering how i restore my HOSTS file because Hostsman 2.1 messed with my HOSTS a lot, mainly restricting www.myspace.com, a site i visit often. I went into the editior and unchecked it from the block list, but that didnt do the trick. So i added it to the exclusion list and i got nothing. So i want to restore the HOSTS file to right when i got it but also have all my IPs changed to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 Any help would be appreciated.

Also, my HOSTS file is rather large, it is 1.3 MB, before i had HOSTS man it was only 456 Kb. Does the size affect the browsing speed of the internet?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

It sounds like Hostsman is misconfigured for what you want to do...you may have downloaded another Host file and merged it or you may be using hpGuru's file instead of the MVPS one due to an update and overwrite (check the Hostsman update configuration). I have the mvps host file as about 454 KB and hpGuru's as about 1,400 KB.

Just download the latest version of whichever host file you like (websites are located in the update section of Hostsman) and replace your exisitng one. If you need to change the IP's again use Hostsman and then stop hostsman from loading at startup or carefully review the configuration of it.

edit: the browsing speed difference shouldn't be a noticable problem but the loading time would be as the hosts file is cached initially. BTW, if you go to Tools-> Resolve host name in hostsman, you can type in myspace.com and you should see the IP for it. I just did with the mvps host list so it appears that is not blocking the site as originally configured. If the IP reads 127.0.0.1 (or 0.0.0.0 possibly in your case) then the Host file is blocking it and you can hunt to correct it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  3. sohailakmal

sohailakmal Registered Member

After I rebooted my computer the effects took place. So i can visit the site now. The MVPS flies did merge with hpguru files. Im guessing i shouldnt have to worry all that much, the interenet seems to be running optimally. Thanks again Mem.

4. shek

shek Registered Member

Do you save the change before you close the hosts file editor? after you make the change to hosts file, you also have to close and restart the web browser to make it work. if you mess up with the hosts file, you could always overwrite it by using update.

In terms of exclusion list, it prevents specified hostsname from being added into the hosts file. In other words, it only works during overwrite or merge the hosts file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.