Restoring from a differential image, question

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by HobbitRock5150, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HobbitRock5150

HobbitRock5150 Registered Member

I was about to restore from a differential image, when I noticed something different in the partition size dialog window. Instead of having 0 mb before and 0 mb after the partition, which I was used to, there now had to be 1 mb left either before, or after.
    Differential images are new to me, I previously stuck to full images, so I don't know. Why is this 1 mb resize necessary when restoring from a differential image?
    I'd like to be able to do differentials, but I want to be able to restore the partition to the same size, or at least have it be its original size when I need to make a new full image. Can someone please clarify this for me? The manual is no help at all.
    Thanks. :)

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

What program version do you use?

It appears that 1MB shows in Restore wizard is standard offset for Vista-style alignment (it is 1MB).
    There should be no difference in restore preview for full or diff backup. Full backup should also show 1MB offset if diff does.

3. HobbitRock5150

Vista? No, I'm using Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011. And the full backup shows no offset.
    I didnt used to bother with differentials when I was on HDM 2010 so I don't know if it did the same thing. Kind of afraid to do so now...

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Vista -syle aplies to Vista and newer operating systems .

Vista/7 same partitioning rules - 1mb offset is created by disk mgmt, diskpart and the installer.

5. HobbitRock5150

OK, but why is that 1MB there for differential restore but not full-image restore? Is it resizing my partition or not?
    I'm sorry, but as I said differential backups are new to me. I'm not even sure that's what I should be doing, because I read in another thread that restore from a differential backup takes longer, and what I need is the quickest way to get back up & running after "unforeseen circumstances" during a session. File backup isn't it, I need program updates, tweaks, and such. And I don't want it resizing my partition. Help please?

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you restore to the original partition - everything will be identical to the moment you made the backup image.

If you restore to a larger space, you will get the option to increase it to fill the available space, if you wish.

You might find it easier just to make a new complete image each time, instead of making differentials.

7. HobbitRock5150

Thanks. I had sort of come to that conclusion; thought I'd try differential though if it was faster, but if it takes longer to restore it's not practical that way anyway.
    Does anyone know if the making an image with the WinPE recovery CD is faster than doing it in Windows? The verify image process sure seems to run faster when done from there.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It may be a little quicker from pe - try it and see.

I get ok speed from within windows - as long as the source and target are on different HD's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.