Restoring Boot Drive Without CD Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by writedom, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writedom

writedom Registered Member

Re: Acronis true image 9.

Is it possible to restore a Boot Drive image located on either a network drive or USB device without using a CD ROM?

Thanks

2. writedom

Restore Without CD Rom

Re: True Image 9

Is it possible to restore an image to a disk with only a primary partition without using a CD drive from a network drive or USB device?

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: Restore Without CD Rom

Hello writedom,

It's not clear to me what you mean. If you're asking whether it's possible to restore the same partition that the image was created to without first offloading the image elsewhere, then the answer is no you can't. Prior to restoring an image, TI will will delete the destination partition so hence there wont be an image left for it to restore.

Regards

4. writedom

No, the image resides on a network or USB Device.

Can the image be restored (Disk with a primary partition only)if the computer does not have a CD drive?

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI allows you to create either a bootable CD or diskettes according to the menu. I have only made and used the CD.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

O.K. I understand now :p.

Yes - two possibilities:

- Commence the restore whilst TI is running under Windows. As you are restoring the system partition TI will prompt you to reboot your system. You will then be booted into TI's Linux based rescue environment (same as booting from the rescue CD), from where you will recommence the restore process.

- Note however that you can only use the above method if you have a bootable Windows installation in the first place. The way around this restriction would be to create a minimum size Secure Zone and activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. That would enable you to enter the Linux based rescue environment by pressing F11 whilst the system is booting.

Regards

Regards

7. b_k

b_k Registered Member

hint: syslinux is a great bootloader. (i got less trouble with it then with the "Acronis Loader"). not only because you can set your default commandline matching your needs, but the syslinux package contains also the pxelinux loader (and some more) which is a network boot strap. :D

Acronis starts like a charm from my ASUS (powered by OpenWRT), but its no use, since it seems to don't like the specific version of Samba installed on it.
    I.E: booting TI works, but somehow i cant access the shares (i already made a thread about that problem),

8. writedom

Thank You For The Replies:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.