Restoring a Trucrypted external hard drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by VEP, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VEP

VEP Registered Member

Hi!
    I am trying to restore my external hard drive but it is true crypted,I tried the usual, right click the opened hard drive and clicked restore but nothing happens.
    Any suggestions?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You need to be a little more clear on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. Purpose, Goal, Step by Step, etc... Hardware, encryption setup (container/volume or device/partition).

PD

3. VEP

VEP Registered Member

Sorry, I'll try.:rolleyes:
    I have a TOSHIBA 500GB external hard drive encrypted with True Crypt, I want to give it to a friend of mind as I can't seem to make it work on my Mac Book with Time Machine, so my idea is to restore the external hard drive and then try time machine again if that fails then I will sale the external Hard rive but then I still need it restored so my friend can use it.
    Is that good enough?
    Can you help me?

4. PaulyDefran

I don't use Mac/Apple, so I can't really help. Can't you mount the device and pull your data off OR Unencrypt it? If you don't need the data, can't you just format the whole drive, making it like new?

PD

5. VEP

VEP Registered Member

I tried restoring but it doesn't let me, even when trying it though a PC computer, my Mac Book, reads it but doesn't let me change it.
    I worry about the Mac Book later, I just want to be able to restore the hard drive to new through a PC computer, but doing the usual restore procedure is not working, does any one know better?

6. PaulyDefran

If you don't care about what's on the drive, just plug it into a Windows computer, right click on it in Windows Explorer, and Format it (NTFS or FAT 32). YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON THE DRIVE...but it should be as new as it gets. Heck, if it is encrypted, I'm surprised Windows didn't pop up a warning saying the drive can't be used until formatted - when you plugged it in, as it should show as RAW. Windows Disk Management is another area where you can do this.

I'm still getting hung up on your term "Restore" - to me, that means some type of imaging, rescue, recovery operation...or using Volume Shadow Copy like services on Windows (Previous Versions). Un-Encrypt/Decrypt would be just removing the encryption, leaving the data intact.

If you *do* need the data on there, somebody who knows OSX will have to help...I don't even know if containers/partitions are interoperable between Mac and Windows with TC...as I've never used Apple/Mac/OSX.

Format should work - turn it back into a 'normal' drive, but read my ALL CAPS above.

PD

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. VEP

VEP Registered Member

Thank you!
    That worked! I was sooo confused am sorry, I have not used a PC in while and I think am forgetting and getting too use to the easiness of Mac.
    I restored it and now my Mac book can use it to back up my data.
    I was all confused, when I said "restore" I was meaning "reformat".
    any ways, I worked it out, FYI, so you are not all scared, I had already copied all my back up data in another computer and was ready to wipe my external hard drive.
    I still need to figure out if I can keep my external hard drive encrypted with True Crypt and still use it on my Mac Book, but for now at least am back up my stuff, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.