restores to wrong id?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Pago Cruiser, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Registered Member

NOOB here, at least with this software. Using TI 11 (formerly Norton Ghost user). Went to restore today, and we had a power outage right in the middle. Everything buggered up.

No problem; so I take my bootable Cd, boot to TI rescue, insert my image DVD, try again. Windows still cannot boot. Restore track 0. Restore sector by sector. Nothing, WXP still cannot boot.

After 2 hours of this, went to reinstall WXP, and there are TWO complete id's! It appears TI 11 restored my drive C to to id1, but id0 was still there. No options in TI11 to restore to different id's. Cannot even delete the id's using WXP disc . Short of booting to W98 and reformatting everything, HTH do I resolve this?

Why can't this sh*t be simple?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you boot form the CD the drive letters might not be the same as in windows. You ahve to go by the volume labels. Are yo sure you restored to the correct drive?

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Does your hard drive have 2 partitions? If you do, try editing the boot.ini file in the windows xp, so that it points to the correct partition. That can probably fix it.

Everyone here in the forums will probably recommend you reformat and start over again. I always like to fix the problem afterwards, whether editing the boot.ini/changing partition ID drive letters/reslot the partitions it's all fixable.

One utility I recommend to everyone who restores xp is to have a "boot corrector", I have a 100 percent success rate when I use a "boot corrector" to fix unbootable restored drives. Most of the fixes are quick less than 5 minutes.

What is the symptom that that the restored drive produces when you try too boot from it? Does it hang/reboot at logon screen? Does it BSOD? Does it give you a "No bootable OS found" warning?

4. Pago Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys. So far, no joy. Yes, my "initial" disk actually has three partitions, C, D, and E. D and E are data only. Yes, I restored ONLY partition C (my only dataset) , to partition C; four times...

Funny thing is, this had been working fine for the last three months- I restore about once a month... don't ask.

Initially, WXP installed on drive I. Could not reassign drive letters using either WXP or partition Magic.

So THEN I did a 6 hour low level format on the disk, attached to a USB drive on another computer. Figured that would solve the sucker..

Um...nope. Went to reinstall WXP, and the same prelim screen comes up when installing XP:

190780 MB Disc 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    Unpartitioned space 190780 MB

190780 MB Disc 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

Unknown Disk
    There is no disk in the drive

Unknown Disk

This was the same screen as before, when WXP installed on drive I.

Good thing disks are so 9relatively) cheap these days. I'm about ready to float test this d*mn thing in the creek behind my house...

Any other ideas welcome...

5. Pago Cruiser

Weird... never did a reply to my own post before..

So I found an old IDE drive (160GB as opposed to the original 200 GB), confirmed it was empty, stuck it in the POS computer, started a fresh install, and went to get a cold beer out of the fridge. Came back to the computer, AND THEN the same (almost) screen of goofy data came up!!

Here is the latest screen:

152626 MB Disc 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    Unpartitioned space 8MB
    C: Partition1 [NTFS] 152617 MB (147480 MB Free)

190780 MB Disc 0 at Id 1 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

Unknown Disk

Unknown Disk

WTH!!! It's getting too late for me to keep working, besides, things usually get odder the more tired I become. But I have no idea how anything can get odder than this...

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you tick the 'restore MBR' box as well?

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.