restored winxp sp2 will fail to logon

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Flatline, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flatline

Flatline Registered Member

I've just bought the new version of TrueImave 8.0 (build 774).

I have 2 80Gb Sata disk in Raid0 (160Gb) partitioned in 2 partition: C: 35 gb D: the remaining space.

Plus I've got an ATA disk with a partition of 35 Gb containing my WindowsXP SP2 installation of System.

I would like to copy the ATA system paririon to the SATA C: partition and remove the ATA disk.

If I try to clone the ATA disk the program would destroy the data in the D: partition of the srtipe... So I create an image of the ATA disk then I've restored that image to the C: partition of the sata stripe.

The system seems to boot correctly but at the logon the system disconnect the administrative user and shows again the logon screen.

I've tried to edit the boot.ini to remove the /noexecute parameters, or editind it with /noexecute=AlwaysOff... /execute...
    But nothing the system wouldn't let me in.

Please Help

2. spg

spg Registered Member

The login/logout problem is when Windows cant find your profiles path. This usually happens when any restore process doesnt set the disk signature correctly. The registry key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/MountedDevices/Dos Device C: (if your windows is on C:, etcetcetc)

Now what you need to do is somehow boot into another copy of Windows. Either install another copy on a DIFFERENT partition or use a Windows XP/PE bootable recovery cd (Winternals etc). Once inside that version, you can look at the keys in the key for the current signature for your partition. You can then load your old \windows\system32\config\system key into your current HKLEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as TEMPHIVE, make the chances to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEMPHIVE\ControlSet001\MountedDevices so that it copies your current key. Unload the hive and you should be able to get into your current install.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  3. nemo_omen

nemo_omen Registered Member

There's an easier solution. Get a Windows 98 boot floppy and boot off from it.

At the A: prompt, run the command "FDISK /MBR" (without quotes of course). When you get back to the A: prompt, reboot the system (without the floppy) and VOILA' (sp ?!?) you'll get into Windows all away.

BTW, thank MS for their paranoia and their product activation BS.

Let us know if this has helped you or not. Jokes apart, this stems from the fact that you've tried to restore a Windows image to a different Partition/Drive than the one that it was originally created from.

4. spg

spg Registered Member

Hmm, youre wrong, rewriting the MBR isnt going to set the disk signatures, let alone making your system unbootable by erasing the boot record. This is a TI support forum, not a "bitch at Microsoft" forum, take it elsewhere please. Restoring an image to another partition doesnt make Windows BSOD. In the worst case, it asks for reactivation, big deal, do it. The ONLY problem that this first post indiicates in incorrect disk signature to partition allocation.

5. nemo_omen

nemo_omen Registered Member

This is not a "bitch at MS" session, though it is ultimately MS fault.

If you have not tried my solution then don't shoot it down, and let someone that has ACTUALLY done the above described steps and made it work help the poor chap.

I agree that the solution doesn't make any "sense", but I tell you it works.

If you want, TRY it (it should be simple enough to set up on purpose) and then you can report back here.

BTW this also works with Norton Ghost.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Flatline

Welcomed to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

I do not fully understand why your Raid0 is not booting, and there could be many reason as to why it is not.

But it should work, I have done it many times from PATA to SATA.

Please have a read through this thread started by Fedorov999 to see if it is any help:- 1x SATA to 2xSATA Raid 0 and vice-versa

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Flatline

Flatline Registered Member

Thanks to everybody...

So, the Sata Raid restored partition boot correctly but at the end of the boot procedure the system prompts me a logon screen, withouth the usual "press Ctrl+Alt+Del", but any try to access will result in a fast windows showing "Disconnecting from system", then the strange logon screen again.

I bypassed the problem by making a backup of the Raid D: partition, then cloning the ATA System Disk to the Raid Stripe (that procedure deletet the previuosly backed-up D: partition), and eventually restored the D: paririon.
    1 half morning of work!!!

Now I'll try to make an image of the Sata C: Raid Partition then I'll try to restore it to another ATA Disk, just to see if the logon problem is still there, and tryign to resolve it with your precious advices... for the future...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.