Restored Windows Vista folder delete problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Imagist, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imagist

Imagist Registered Member

Just bought a license for True Image 11 (having read many good reviews) and have been aquainting myself with it. So far very good - the only backup programme I've tried which I think I am going to get on with, nice interface etc........ but....

I did a test selective restore (Vista Home Premium) of a few selected files on C: drive to a specific new folder on C: drive from a True Image backup archive for drive C: & D: and failed to notice that the whole of drive D: was selected to restore as well as the few other files from Drive C: Whoops!

So True Image dutifully restored the selected files of C: and the whole of Drive D: to the new folder I asked it to.

Drive D: on my Dell system is a recovery partition that contains a backup of the whole of Windows and some other folders/files - 3.61 gigabytes.

As it was just a test I want to now delete the whole folder I restored to.

Vista will not me delete several sub folders in the Windows directory of the new folder I restored to nor the new test folder itself, because it probably 'thinks' I'm trying to do this in the 'real' Windows folder and is trying to 'protect' me - so I get 'Destination Folder Access Denied' (nanny software?) and despite messing about with permissions etc. for some time, (although I don't have gpedit.msc as it is not supplied with Vista Home Premium) I cannot delete these test restored files/folders. Presumably it has a list of files somewhere which cannot be deleted? eg. tapiperf.ini & psswiz.exe.mui & recenv.exe.mui etc. there's dozens of them.

So my question is (though I realise it's not directly a True Image problem someone might know) -
    Am I now stuck with this folder as I cannot delete it?
    Or is there a way round this please?

many thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Imagist:

I would think that by taking ownership of the offending folders, Vista would let you delete them.

However, if that fails then you can resort to the good old command line. Boot your PC from the Vista DVD and choose to repair, but don't let it do an automatic repair. Go to a command prompt. Navigate to the drive (it may have a different drive letter in the boot environment; be careful!) and try to delete the files and folders that way. Clunky, but it should work.

Most of us on the forum find the "Restore" individual files function to be problematic for the reasons that you've just discovered. You may find it simpler in the future to "Mount" your backup archive as a virtual disk drive (assuming that you create images) and then just copy/paste files from the archive like you would normally do in Windows Explorer.

3. Imagist

Imagist Registered Member

Many thanks using the command line worked - though had to use del /? to remember the parameters! anyway many thanks for the suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.