Restored image will not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cyclejim, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyclejim

cyclejim Registered Member

I am using T1 8 and made an image about a month ago that was on a external usb hard drive. I copied it to my C drive on my main machine and then restored that image back to the external hard drive and did the verify after that. I am able to explore the image and the data is all there, but it will not boot. I did choose to make it an Active partition while restoring.

When I try to boot from it I get something I have NEVER seen.. a series of 99's,, over and over like 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 etc etc etc... o_O

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello cyclejim,

I'm afraid it's not very clear to me what you've done and what it is you're trying to do.

Did you originally create an image of the whole disk (ticked the checkbox adjacent to the Disk number) or just of a separate partition (ticked the checkbox adjacent to a partition)? After restoring the image to the external (USB?) drive, did you remove the disk from the external enclosure and install it in lieu of your main system drive? If not, then are you in fact attempting to boot directly from the external USB drive? In which case, be aware that this isn't supported natively by any current version of Windows.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello,

Thank you for using Acronis Backup Software

To cyclejim:
    Please make sure that you have an option "Boot From a Removable Device" in BIOS enabled. If no, please enable it and try to boot your computer from your external HDD once again.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

4. cyclejim

Sorry I re-read my message and I can understand why it didnt make any sense. After restoring the full image of my drive to the external USB drive, I then removed that drive from the enclosure and installed it in my PC as the primary IDE drive and attempted to boot it.

5. cyclejim

Thanks Alex but I actually installed the drive in my PC as the primary IDE drive after removing it from the enclosure.. so I am not trying to boot from a USB external device. My message wasnt very clear initially. thanks!

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello,

Thank you for using Acronis Backup Software

To cyclejim:

Please make sure that your HDD is set as Master and boot the computer from a Windows XP Installation CD, start Recovery Console and run fixmbr command.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.