Restore or Universial Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LifeCare, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LifeCare

LifeCare Registered Member

We have a Microsoft SQL server running Windows 2003. It has all sorts of 3rd party windows programs and databases on it that I don't know anything about (Mysis health care, Time Star time reporting, CBORD kitchen, etc) and I don't want to have to try to rebuild it from scratch.

We bought the Universal Restore and I am going to try using that. The RAID 5 disk array on the old computer is SCSI and about 30 Gigs. The new one is SATA RAID 5 and 150 Gigs. Is that going to be a problem is I use the Universal Restore? Any other hints as the instructions seem a bit skimpy. Is it really that easy?

Also I have a CD with the AMD drivers for the Opterons and the motherboard but the have a self install program and I am not sure how to identify them out of all of the gunk that is on the CD. I have been able to get a server running without them so should I just try to install them after doing the restore? I can find the RAID driver OK I think that may be all I have to have to get it running.

2. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

it really should be "that" easy. If you could get the machine running without your driver CD, windows seems to have the correct drivers build in. Universal restore can use the build in drivers and it should work.

Just give it a try. When UR doesn't find the correct drivers it will prompt you for the files. You may have to extract the drivers from your MB-CD..

Which MB do you have..?

Volker

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LifeCare,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers.

When the restore process runs Acronis True Image with Universal Restore will:
    - detect the machine type and install appropriate driver for HAL
    - detect IDE and SCSI controllers and install appropriate drivers. If no appropriate drivers are found, you will be prompted to browse the following locations for the drivers:
    -Network share drive;
    -Floppy disk;
    -CD drive;

Please find the hints on using Acronis Universal Restore in 3.7.3 section of the respective Acronis True Image User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.