Restore Full Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vampywitch, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampywitch

vampywitch Registered Member

My OS system, Windows XP Media 2002 SP2 has become corrupt and I have to return the computer to its original state when I purchased it, meaning I have to reinstall the OS. I have done a complete backup using Acronis, in the hopes that when I get the OS back to before it became corrupted, I can then get all my files and programs back on using restore. But, I am wondering if the restore will include the OS in its current condition and over ride the one that I just put on. I know I am not saying this very well, but I just wondered how a complete backup works when it is time to do the restore. I do not want to end up with the same bad OS I currently have. Thanks Vampy

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you restore your full backup it will overwrite everything on the drive. You will be able to recover your files but will have to reinstall all of your programs. Have you tried a Windows system restore to a point before you had corruption? What error messages are you receiving from Windows that tells you its corrupt? What version and build of TI do you have?

3. vampywitch

My computer was slowing down and I made some inquiries to some tech type people and after trying a few things they had me run SFC /scannow and it gets almost to the end, then asks for a disk, which of course I do not have. Seems it is missing some dll files, but who knows what else. I have tried finding a disk for my particular version of XP, but no luck, and my restore disks do not work as the type disk it wants. As for going back to a restore point I have gone back as far as I possibly could, still have problem. I am using TI 10.0 build 4,942. My OS is XP Media Edition 2002,SP2, I have an HP Pavilion a1250n, AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 3800+ 1 GHz with 2 gig ram. I really was hoping to find some kind of a backup system that would backup all my programs, as this is going to be a pain if I have to actually start from scratch, but if that is how it is, guess I will live with it Vampy

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

If you re-install t OS, ALL apps will have to be re-installed.

It is rare that a computer has to be re-installed back to its original state.
    That "solution" is most often proposed by by tech support folkes either too lazy to really investigate a problem, or too incompetent to solve the problem.

Always, first try a repair and/or restore with your most recent backup of a working system.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You may want to look at this Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD. Included within the guide are instructions for making an XP install CD. Whether or not it will work for you will depend on your machine and the recovery disks you have.

6. vampywitch

Unfortunately the problem started about 5 or 6 weeks ago, slowing down that is, but I did not think too much of it at first because I was doing an awful lot of things at the same time, but when it got to a point of only maybe 2 things running and it was slow I knew something was wrong. There is no restore point that will help that long ago. I will ck out that place you recommended and see if that works. As for a repair I am not sure exactly what you mean. Vampy

7. Howard Kaikow

A slow down is insufficient reason to wipe a drive.

"repair" would be covered in Windows Help and most any decent book covering whatever Windows OS you are using.

Use Task Manager to see what processes are using lots of resources and/or CPU time.

Use PageFileUsageMonitor to check pagefile use. Perhaps, you need more memory to reduce pagefile use, or, perhaps, anapp has been using lots of pagefile.

Do you use Symantec products? Some can slow down a system.
    Check the settings in your AV program.

Have you used a good defragger? Try Perfect Disk 8. It really makes a difference.

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Do you use any kind of "housekeeping" software like CCleaner, Ad-Aware, Spybot, or any Registry cleaners on a regular basis (at least once a week)?

9. vampywitch

I use Adaware, Spybot, and CC Cleaner, plus I did use a registry program and it was with that program that I might have screwed up. Whatever is wrong, my system is freezing, sometimes crashing and according to SFC /scannow there is something missing that is necessary to the system files. I am going to try making the XP disk suggested above, but my worry is that it says it works for XP home and XP pro, but no mention of XP Media Center Edition. Going to work on the disc right now and will let you know if it fixes the problem. Vampy

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vampywitch,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that you can choose which data to restore from any backup. However, please notice that previous posters are correct and restoring only applications on a new system is unlikely to work, as most applications store their data in more places than only their folder itself.

Please notice that you can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Vampy, I'm not sure if anyone suggested this before, but have you done a chkdsk /r on the drive? And followed that up with a Defrag?

12. Howard Kaikow

I did not see whether the OP was using TI 9 or 10.
    But, at least in TI 9, I've not yet used TI 10, one is not always able to restore selected files.

See CreateFile API "failure"

and CopyMoveDeleteRename

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.