Restore from backup server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dkellyb717, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkellyb717

dkellyb717 Registered Member

I am running TrueImage Workstation 9.1, and am having difficulty restoring from a backup server. I can restore without difficulty when windows is running either through the remote agent or from TIW itself. However, I am having problems when restoring after booting from the rescue CD or from the secure zone. When I browse to the "Acronis Backup Servers" when choosing the archive then select "Personal backup location", I receive the error message "Your Personal backup location on Acronis Backup Server has no backup archives." I am using the same user (administrator) account as I did when I created the archive. Note that I follow exactly the same steps when running under windows and I can find the archive.

I have tried this from two separate workstations, both running XP Workstation, as well as from both the rescue CD and from the secure zone.

Do you have any suggestions? I am running build 3534. As I write this I am downloading build 3633. I didn't see any references in the build notes regarding problems such as mine, but I figured I would try anyway.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please recreate the bootable rescue media with the latest build and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still remains, please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Please describe your actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please clarify also where your Backup Server is located.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. dkellyb717

dkellyb717 Registered Member

Actually, I have found a workaround, which I believe another user posted. I'm removing the software from my network, cutting my losses, and trying to find some software that works.

This has been the worst software experience of my life. I develop windows system-level software for a living, and I don't know how you could consider this a product. This is not even pre-beta level software. Let me recap my experience:

I downloaded a trial version. I installed the backup server on a machine with a external firewire drive installed. After I rebooted, everything on that drive was gone. I then installed the backup server component on my file server. I rebooted, and that was the last that sever ever ran. Your sales rep called me as I was restoring it using reliable software (Veritas), and told him my predicament. He said he would have a tech rep call right away. No one ever did.

I set up a separate server to run backup server so I would never have that problem again. Backing up across the network, it would always succeed, but only occasionally verify. Possibly a bad hard drive (certainly couldn't be a bug in YOUR software). Replaced the hard drive. Same problem. I fail to see how every other application has no problems writing to both hard drives, yet yours tells me it succeeds but then can't read its own archive. Tried this many times from several different workstations.

While doing all this, I encountered the problem about which I wrote my original post. Downloaded the latest software, but had all the same problem, plus a few more. Acronis had the gall to tell me to update, without mentioning one word about the license server I would have to install, and with no directions on how to use it. NOT a transparent update. Plus, my workstation could only be verified by the license server when using the cabled ethernet connection that was active when I installed the license. Would not verify when connecting wirelessly. All of a sudden, most of this software's usefulness was gone, assuming I could get it to work.

Back to the backup server. I finally did get it to run somewhat reliably. Until after a few days the server machine would no longer boot. Resinalled OS and backup server from scratch. Ran for a few days. Once again, wiped everything off the server -- not even a partition to try to recover. There is only one type of software component that could cause all of these catastrophic crashes, and that is a kernel-mode driver. When installing, there was absolutely no notification that such a driver would be installed. It had obviously not undergone WHCT (I certainly hope you know that acronym!) And finally, there is absolutely no reason a user-mode service should require such a driver.

You must have some good lawyers. Maybe I'll read your license agreement and find that you take no responsibility for crashing a customer's system due to negligence.

My best option now is to never use any product from Acronis again, and advise any potential customers to avoid your software lest the suffer my same fate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.