Restore a file with Acronis True image 11.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shankle, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I did a backup of the hard disk a month ago. And verified
    the backup which was successful. I am running Windows
    Vista Business.
    Today I lost a file of several hundred programs and tried
    to do a selective restore of that file.
    First it never asked what file I wanted to restore.
    Then it kept on asking for 1 cd after another and telling me
    the file was corrupted.
    Total loss - not able to restore file with Acronis True Image.
    Hope you can enlighten me.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Optical media is not recommended at all for making a direct Image backup for precisely the situation you ran into - numerous disk swaps. If the Image took 3 or less discs it is tolerable, but more than that ... forget it.

If you have another hard drive, try copying all the files on the cds to a folder on the hard drive and see if you can extract what you need.

3. Shankle

So now we can't back up to CDs or DVD even though
    the program indicates we can. So now I have to go out and
    buy an external hard drive to back up my Puter.
    That's not what the documentation implies.
    Somebody should get their act straightened out.
    I never need more that 3 dvds.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shankle,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that the main reason for swapping disks is that a single file can occupy several clusters of a hard drive and these clusters can reside in different places of a hard drive. But the snapshot technology creates image archive consequently. For example, the first cluster of a file can be located on the first disk, the second can be on the third disk, the third on the second disk etc. Some files can occupy hundreds of clusters and when the next cluster of a file resides on another disk, it needs to be swapped. Therefore, it's recommended that the images saved on multiple disks were copied to another media before restoration, or restored as a whole without changes.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Shankle

Thank you for your reply Mr. Setdikov.
    I understand what you are saying BUT I was asking about restoring a single folder with a hundred progams in it.
    This selection NEVER asked what folder I wanted to restore and just kept asking for 1 dvd after another. So can I use a restore of specific folder or not? Generally I find that anything fancy with TI is a no no and I generally ONLY back up the entire hard drive and restore the entire hard drive.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

First step, to make things practical for the reasons given in the prior posts, copy the CD/DVDs over to a single location on a harddisk.

Next step depends on whether you have a file by file backup (my data backup) or a full image backup (my computer backup). If the latter, use windows explorer to navigate to the set of files and mount the image. If the former, do the same but isntead of mount, just OPEN the image, which opens it in explorer. Once mounted or opened you can highlight directories or files and copy them to other disks as you would any other files showing up in explorer.

7. Shankle

Just A little clarification from Mr. Shieber please.
    I always do the full image backup. SO, if I copy my DVDs to a folder on the hard drive, won't I have problems with two Vistas in the same partition?
    Thanks for your patience.

8. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Well , I backup and restore from an Ext. HD AND an 8Gig flash drive-disks I would only use as a last resort. THAT's the best 2 ways to go IMHO.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shankle,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that as you browse through the directory tree on the selection screen it has to built its contents for every folder you open. So, as explained in my previous post, as different folders and files are stored in different parts of the image, the corresponding disks need to be present for Acronis True Image to read them all.

Please notice that the image is stored in compressed files, so copying them to a disk with Windows Vista (or any other) operating system installed will not present any kind of conflict.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.