Resizing Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rule G, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

I would like to resize existing partitions on my external drive. I have images+differentials in one partition and storage in another. I believe that I can accomplish this via secure zones but found nothing on a search. Can someone detail the proper method to resize via secure zones while keeping data intact?
    Thank you

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Partition Magic will do that. Not sure if Acronis Disk Director keeps the data intact.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you have unsed space on the hadrive, you can create a SZ, using that space, then go back into the SZ wizard and delete the SZ -- when you do that, you have the option of which partition to allocate the space to.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I assume that you do not have a secure zone on your computer at the moment. This is important because TI will only permit one secure zone at a time.

You do not need any unallocated free space in which to create the secure zone. Create a secure zone taking the amount of space from the partition that you wish to make smaller. Do all this using the manage secure zone wizard. Do not activate the start up recovery manager.
    Having created the zone the next step is to open the manage secure zone wizard again and remove the zone. During this process you will be given the choice where to allocate the newly freed space, obviously you should choose the partition that you wish to enlarge.
    Job done time for tea!

Xpilot

5. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

HI,
    Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if I have a SZ or not. When I set the HDD up I did set-up a SZ but think that I deleted it. Can you tell me please, how to tell? Right now, the SZ wizard tells me that I have 2 partitions, one primary and one logical. Also, in using SZ to resize, I won't lose data in either partition?
    Thanks again for your help.

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Yes it does, and fwiw I prefer Disk Director Suite to Partition Magic.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is important to start from a known base so I suggest you do the following:- Open Windows disk management with the external drive running to see what it says about all your hard drives. If you still have a secure zone it will be detailed there. If you have a quantity of unallocated space on the drive where you previously had the SZ this will be the result of not having removed it correctly. I suspect this is not the case but it is worthwhile to check.
    Let's assume that there is no current secure zone. In this case proceed as I detailed previously. Provided that you only take free space from the drive that you wish to make smaller you will not lose any data from either partition. It would however be advisable to leave some unused space for future expansion and not to take it all.

Xpilot

8. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

HI,
    Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if I have a SZ or not. When I set the HDD up I did set-up a SZ but think that I deleted it. Can you tell me please, how to tell? Right now, the SZ wizard tells me that I have 2 partitions, one primary and one logical. Also, in using SZ to resize, I won't lose data in either partition?
    Thanks again for your help.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Not unallocated but you will want to have unused space (i.e., space without any data recorded in it), unless you want to give up the data in those used sectors.

10. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

Thank you
    Mission accomplished!!!
    Worked just like you said!!!

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know that it worked out.

Xpilot

12. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

Courteous thing to do!
    I appreciate the assistance and you guys appreciate that you can move on to the next dummy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.