Rescue Media Fails to Backup *Vista*

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by btsander, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btsander

btsander Registered Member

I have successfully created drive backups using the Windows version but when I try backing up using the Rescue Media CD, it never finishes. I've tried twice using Archive splitting at 1.5GB, both times I've had to manually restart my computer (BTW, the continue to load windows option doesn't work for Vista either). After loading Vista, I've check the archive and about half of the 1st archive was created when it stopped. If the backup doesn't work, I'm really nervous if I ever have to restore from the rescue disk.

I created the CD using the latest TI 10 Home build (4,942).

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You are correct to be worried. If you can't run from the Recovery CD in either Safe or Full mode reliably, there is probably no way to restore the C partition.

This isn't a Vista problem. When you boot from the Recovery CD, you are in a Linux environment, and Vista is not loaded. Therefore, the problem is hardware related and not a a related to software on your hard drive.

Where are you creating the backup image? USB external hard drive? Second partition on an internal hard drive, a second internal hard drive?

Tell us about the computer. Brand, model, motherboard, etc. What sort of hard drives? IDE, SATA, RAID, etc.

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the computer when doing the backup from the Recovery CD?

3. btsander

btsander Registered Member

The partition I'm attempting to backup is an SATA300 320GB drive with 16.4GB used, the full drive is partioned NTFS. Model# Hitachi HDT725032VLA

The partition I'm backing up to is an internal IDE drive with 2 partions (1 NTFS, 1 FAT32). I was using the NTFS partion to store the backup TIB files. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure I do, the boot media is seeing the Interal IDE drive as drive "C:". I'm not sure what drive letters it assigned the other two. Model# Maxtor 6L300RO ATA

I also do have a 512MB Memorex USB drive attached.

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

Thank you.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Check that the SATA drive is recognized by the Recovery CD. That's one possibility for a problem. SATA drives do not have as complete support under Linux as IDE drive.

Sometimes USB devices create problems with the Recovery CD. Try the backup again with no USB devices attached. OK, if you have only a USB keyboard or USB mouse, that should be OK, but disconnect any USB hubs, printers, flash drives, card readers, etc. and see if that fixes the problem.

There is another approach if all this fails, and that is to create a BartPE boot disk with TrueImage. you can use that instead of the Recovery CD, but try the above suggestions first.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello btsander,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what happend if that is the option presented on the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media selection screen, and what happens if you choose it?

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep all drives in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.