Rescue disk will not boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bobbykendrick, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbykendrick

bobbykendrick Registered Member

I purchased True Image 10 and now I need to use it, but cannot get it to work! I restored the image on a Win XP Pro machine and when I tried to reboot, I get this message:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Cold not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

So, I tried to create a rescue disk on an identical machine I have and cannot get the rescue disk to boot at all! What am I doing wrong?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi bobbykendrick, welcome to the Forum :D

Before I can answer your question I need to know your level of experience...

• Do you know what the MBR is?
    • Do you know why a partition must be marked Active?
    • Do you know what the files ntldr; ntdetect.com and boot.ini do?

TiA

3. bobbykendrick

bobbykendrick Registered Member

Yes, I work on computers for a living and am familiar with everything you mentioned. I copied the ntdetect and ntdlr and boot.ini to the disk but it still will not boot up.....

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

A couple of questions:

1. When you restored the image you restored the MBR at the same time?
    2. The partition of the image was an "Active" partition and you kept that setting when you did the restore?
    3. Are you using PATA or SATA disks?

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Two separate issues here ... since you work on computers for a living, I am going to assume a lot.
    Here are some things that put up stumbling blocks to TI: wireless keyboards/mice, and multiple usb devices including hubs. There were also reports here of problems with certain motherboards.
    See if any apply to your situation - sorry don't know any more detail on the mb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.