Request for Opinions, Wilders' folks...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by clambermatic, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Howdy everyone,
    This is my 1st topic created since i joined Wilders.

May i ask for your contributions/opinions, as a Linux user & samely with a winOS installed as a dual-boot... on which "standalone" spyware-trojan-virus util that is platform-flexibility (deployed/reside on Linux & will scan NTFS dirs sametime, an vice-versa), available for multi-dir scanning and had a pretty decent Viral/SWarez/Trojan Kill-Rate ratio o_O

In other words :blink: .... this standalone should be as good, if not, then better than that old venerable - AVERT Tool (updated versionized & free-dwnlodables), EZ to dwnload & deploy, miniscule footprint with good Kill-Ratio. And with an added feature beyond what old AVERT doesn't possess - Platform Independent!

Note: Please do not include the likes of M$' "malware cleaner"... which is a pathetic in its form.

-----------------------------------------------------
    EDIT : typo : addendum : revision

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

avast! for linux will scan any mounted volume.

3. clambermatic

Hi wsfUSER,
    Avast has 3 versions that's more or less related to standalone deployments - a) avast! for Linux Edition b) avast! Linux HE and c) avast! Virus Cleaner FREE; May i further inquire which version are you specifically refering to o_O

4. WSFuser

A. but Ive read that B. scans Windows partitions too.

5. clambermatic

i c; But still their gross file size are BIG. Have you ever used AVERT Tool (McAfee had cease to revise them for more than a year or so), wsfUSER?? That thingy never goes beyond 1.44mb on each & every revisions! C?

Also, each new revision contain a proportion of newfixes against the hottest infectors in town (of course, it target-ratio may have been only >25% of the hot viruses of a past quarter). But it's standalone, not cross-platform thou.

....Are there something else out there that's not more than 4mb (or even less dense) & still function the way these Avert/Avast! tools were suppose to beo_O

6. WSFuser

avast is a full ondemand scanner. AVERT Stinger contains signatures for specific malware only so thats why its smaller.

7. clambermatic

i know it's a full ondemand scanner, wsfUSER. ;)

I was requesting for opinions on malware-specific standalone ones, in the context same as AVERT. If anyone has knowledge of such, i am inviting folks to post their contributions here. :blink:

8. clambermatic

Here is my two cents' worth. For the past four months, to me, these two (as posted, non-ranked) are 'must have' in your anti-malware toolbox, if talking about defence against latest malware genes:

* Ewido micro-scanner (so called v4.0; aka: AVG-as; scroll to bottom for this micro version)
    http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

** CureIT (by dr. WEB)
    http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

...the former is specifically targeted for non-IE users. Thou i have been using it on IE7 & it work just as well. Very compact package, except that it had to load its datfiles 'fresh' every time you deploy it. Files/folders... non-selectable thou. Funny too... as of this moment, its website can't be reach! ...wonder why o_O

CureIT... compact, includes signatures. Highly customisable & efficient. Fresh copy depend on date you downloaded.

Aside from the two mentioned, i do still use old version of AVERT (for old virus signatures), coz it has the most efficient 'curing' technique on them!

Of course, there are still others out there... so please pitch in & thanks ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.