Replacing my McAfee 7.0 and have got these options...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

hehe..BitDefender 8.0 Pro costs so less, I get a two year license for lesser than McAfee and about the same as eScan VC (all of one year)......

2. Firecat

Patrician,

I appreciate your comments a lot. I am only seriously considering BitDefender 8 Professional, KAV and F-Secure (sigh, AVK is not available here). In this case what would you recommend?

Actually, its for my brother who also visits sites with Adware and Trojans, but he does not go to VX sites. The sites I visit are more of virii and trojans and the ones he visits are more of adware/keyloggers. In this case, I sometimes find quite some keyloggers (mostly of Win32.Bridge variants and Krepper) on the hard disk as a result of KAV's excellent engine in eScan. Even though he knows of all the bugs with the latest McAfee, he is unsure of shifting. Considering that Nod's trojan/adware detection is yet to imrpove, these options are all I'd consider.

Regards,
    Firecat

3. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Firecat, First let me say that I'm probably the least competent person to give you advise. I'm no computer guru. Looks as if you've narrowed your choices to 3 antivirus products...Kav, F-secure, and bitdefender proffesional. As other posters have suggested..I would trial all 3 to see which one best fits your needs.

Before I tell you which I would choose, let me say this. As other posters have suggested, I would run adaware, spybot search and destroy, and spyware blaster. I have ran 2 of these 3 antiviruses. Kav and Bitdefender Standard. I haven't ran f-secure. If I were in your place...I would pick kav. It's the lightest on system resources, and has the best detection rate. Take a look at this website. http://www.av-comparatives.org

If I were to pick Bitdefender...I would go with Bitdefender standard, as a poster in another thread has stated that the firewall in bitdefender professional in his words is crappy. Pick a free firewall such as zonealarm, or sygate to compliment bitdefender. Or kerio 2.15, if your comfortable in making rules.

Although I haven't tried F-secure, Other posters have stated that it's very heavy on system resources. It runs 2 kav based engines, if I'm not mistaken. Its detection rates are no better than kavs from the tests I've saw. But that's what I would do. Try out all 3, and see which one best meets your needs. You can get a 6 month trial on f-secure here. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

Many will disagree with me here, but I would also add an antitrojan such as boclean. td3s, trojanhunter, ewido, or a2 square.

4. Firecat

Mr2cents,

Unfortunately, there is no anti-trojan software available here, so I'll just have to take the best AV there is.

BitDefender's firewall only works for outgoing threats. It is meant to be used alongside the Windows Firewall in WinXP SP2.

I have tried KAV Personal 5.0 and I liked it a lot, but I feel I should rather go for Personal Pro. I don't know why, I just felt more secure feeling that I should buy KAV 5.0 Personal Pro... but I hate iStreams. And my brother is no 'techie' to uncheck the option for iStreams while installing...Yet I will consider it...Can I use Xbases with any of the KAV 5.0 versions i.e. Pro, Personal or WS?

F-Secure's caught my brother's eyes... It uses Kaspersky's AVP 6.0 engine....alongside Libra and Orion which are in-house engines, I think Libra uses F-prot database.

By the way, if I purchase F-Secure 2005, am I entitled to a free upgrade to F-Secure 2006 as and when it is released (if my license has not expired)? I know that I can upgrade in the case of KAV and BitDefender.....

I'll be here for another one and a half hours...So I'll be waiting...

have a nice day, everybody!

Best Regards,
    Firecat

5. Patrician

Patrician Guest

Firecat are you not able to donwload AVK from Gdata? On another note of your choices I would go with KAV if it is available there. (I'm from the UK and for some reason can't purchase KAV from their online shop. I get a message about them only exporting it to certain world areas and, for some reason, the UK appears not to be one of them. You may find you are in the same boat as it were) If so I would go with F-Secure not only does it have the truly excellent KAV engine and it's own, but also comes with a re-badged Adaware Pro. The combination is pretty much as secure as you are going to get with out getting parnoid.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Patrician,

I do not understand your statement here :doubt:

Are you saying that you cannot purchase KAV online from their main site?

7. Patrician

Patrician Guest

Yes that's right. I go to http://www.kaspersky.com/ go to purchase KAV Personal Pro by download, enter all my details and get a message at the end stating that Kaspersky are only exporting KAV to certain world areas and mine (the UK) isn't one of them. I have tried twice now with the same result. Bought AVK now instead so no real matter but still a bit of a pain.

8. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

9. Blackcat

Very strange, but I have never bought a license from the main site.

When you are possibly thinking of KAV in the future, try one of their main reseller sites in the UK, NEST; http://www.nest-soft.co.uk/ They deal with all the single-licensed KAV customers here in the UK.

I have used them over several years without any problems at all and they are backed up by the superb support of Kaspersky UK.

Or as posted above, you should have no problems with the main UK Kaspersky site.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Patrician. You must have missed what it says at the top of the page in the Kaspersky E-store, the link directs you to the UK Kaspersky site. :)

Attached Files:

• Kav.png
      Kav.png
      File size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Blackcat

Well spotted, Don ;)

12. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

I have F-Secure on two of my machines. However, we don't use it
    on another P4 2.8 1GB RAM gaming machine because it tends to be CPU intensive and may cause some issues if you are a serious gamer.

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Firecat

It's easy to disable iStreams, during install (in Personal) you are presented with a "use recommended settings" uncheck this box and click ok, next you are presented with the option to disable the networkmodule (recommended by Kaspersky if you use a softwarefirewall) and iStreams, simpel as that. In Pro you do it via the GUI.

Xbases & extended can be used in Pro when MP1 arrives shortly, but extendedbases (available in Personal) should be more than adequate for home use, it add's around 5000 extra signatures.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  14. Patrician

Patrician Guest

Erm, OK feels realy foolish now! Got AVK and could have had KAV if I had been paying attention....."lots of graphics to show swearing"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.