Replacing my McAfee 7.0 and have got these options...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello everyone!

I'm going to replace McAfee on the other OS of my computer. I've got these choices...

McAfee Internet Security 7.0 (2005)
    KAV Personal 5.0
    KAV Personal Pro 5.0
    F-Secure Internet Security (costly though, so mostly will not consider it)
    Panda AntiVirus Titanium
    Panda AntiVirus Platinum
    CA eTrust EZ Armor
    Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 (forget about this one...too costly and doesn't cater to my needs..)
    BitDefender Professional/Standard v8.0
    Trend PC-cillin Internet Security 2005
    EDIT:- ONE MORE CHOICE - NOD32 v2

Which one do you recommend? Also, can you give some information regarding resource usage, detection, unpacker support etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
    Firecat

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  2. Firecat

Er..Does no one like me here or what? Somebody please reply! All of us know buying an AntiVirus is just too important for anybody...so please.

Regards,
    Firecat

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

All I can advise you to do is try a few out and see what you like, I would add to your list www.nod32.com

Cheers :D

4. Firecat

Blackspear,

I know about nod32 and its EXCELLENT heuristics...but is it available in India?

5. Firecat

Well, Yes. I found a reseller. Therefore NOD32 is added to the mix. Now what do you say guys?

6. Blackspear

Asking what Anti-virus I should use is like asking what sort of car I should drive and can you tell me what colour it should be as well. It depends on your surfing habits and also what works well on your machine with your current software.

7. Firecat

Well I am just the regular home user...Lots of gaming, Internet Surfing (Yes, sites with lots of AdWare and Trojans...), the occasional visits to VX sites (EDIT:- to test my AV), and thats about all. My PC config is as follows:

AMD Athlon64 3000+
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    Asus V9950 GeForce FX 5900 Graphics card
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
    160GB HDD

8. Blackspear

OK, so what other security do you have on your system?

You may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Gaming places Nod32 into the lead pack, you won't notice it while playing...

9. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

You never explained why you are replacing McAfee 7 on your computer. Maybe if you told the forum why this is so, they may be able to offer you a reasonable suggestion from the long list of quality AV programs you provided.

Regards

10. Firecat

jmschwartz and blackspear,

I've got Ad-Aware SE 1.05+Spybot S&D on my computer, alongside eScan's Xbases (eScan is installed on the other OS) to protect me against riskware/spyware. With McAfee 7.0 there is McAfee Personal Firewall which is currently protecting.

The reason why I've to replace McAfee is that this one will expire soon, and I heard 7.0 does not have the full AdWare/Spyware definitions. This is why I want a new AV.....something that's got good malware detection. Riskware/Spyware detection and resource use is a lesser problem though, since I've got 1GB RAM. Still, I would consider it a bit.

I heard myths about McAfee Enterprise cathching malware the home versions couldn't... is this real (I heard this from a nod32 reseller who also sells McAfee)

Hope that helped.

Regards,
    Firecat

11. Firecat

Guys, whats wrong? Like I said, resource use is a smaller issue. I just want one that offers good detection. So, which one of the above do you recommend?

12. Firecat

Do NOD32 and BitDefender also protect against riskware/spyware/adware?

13. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Get KAV (or another escan licence) Firecat.

You know they are the best, watch the tests at Jotti http://virusscan.jotti.org/ for a while.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

In my opinion, NO anti-virus, even the best one in the world, will protect you from Adware and Spyware, that is not their job, not what they are designed for. Some of the "suites" now days claim to do so but all the testing that I have read in the various pc magazines claim that these suites, while great with the AV and firewall stuff, do lousy against Adware and Spyware. You still need, at least at this point, the traditional protection: AdAware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Microsoft Beta, etc.

Acadia

15. Firecat

Well, yeah...but I heard that KAV's Xbases or ext bases can do wonders...So, what can you say about KAV's adware/riskware/spyware detection?

Regards,
    Firecat

16. Firecat

Erm...guys? Please, can I know what you think of KAV's ext bases adware/spyware/riskware detection?

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yo, Firecat, you've got to be patient here. Many of the folks who may know the answer are at work now and won't be home to read your questions for many hours yet. ;)

Acadia

18. Firecat

Oh..so sorry. Actually its night here, you see, so I'm in a bit of a hurry as its lights out in maximum 40 minutes now.. besides, I am very impatient as I'm only almost 13 (born March 19, 1992) and still got things to learn.....

Well, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Firecat

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  19. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

Try them on trial and make your own judgement,each to their own.

Currently I am on AVG 7 Pro, after doing a backup found a few had slipped through it had not detected.

I am currently running Nod 32 on a trial, I personally don't like the interface and all the protected readings, Favourite for me at the moment is Panda .

I am always open for offers , before I part with my brass :)

20. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

No worries Firecat,

Reckon we were all the same at that age, except it was not computers in my Day, seem to remember surfboards :D

21. Firecat

Yeah, I will...thanks a lot sir.

22. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Too true. Get what YOU consider the best AV Firecat and supplement it with free tools. Firewall, AdAware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, should do the trick. Many people reccommend an ANTI TROJAN but I don't think that is neccessary with the KAV based AVs.

Good luck.

23. Patrician

Patrician Guest

To be honest due to what sites he visits I would say it places NOD very much to the bottom of the list. With the PC Specs he has resource usage won't be a problem even when gaming so he's be better off going with an AV that has a resident scanner that scans archives in relatime such as Panda (either of them), F-Secure, AVK, Bitdefender 8 and last but by no means least Dr Web. All have superior detection of downloaded threats to NOD.

24. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Like to mention another very good scanner: Dr. Web. Runs like a charm, auto update, mail scanning, beta malware detection.........great for me!!!!! Easy interface, just does the job and that's it.

Good luck!

Putin

25. Blackspear

Like I said:

1) Trial them

2) Make it part of a layered defense

3) Trying to tell you what is best is like asking me to choose what make and colour car he should buy...

There is NO easy solution in this one, he has to step through options 1 and 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.