REPLACE NORTON'S WITH NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dannidasilva, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannidasilva

dannidasilva Registered Member

hi i can't stand another day with running Norton's systemworks on my computer. Now i've only recieved good words about NOD32 antivirus and i want to install it on my computer, but my only 2 concerns are that #1 i'm also running AVG, so that's two AV, is that i good idea, and second, HOW DO I REALLY, I MEAN REALLY UNINSTALL NORTON'S SYSTEM WORKS. Because as you may know, when you do a remove of Norton's on your computer, it still leaves some stuff on your PC that can cause problems. I don't know how to really get rid of Norton's for GooD!!! and that's what i really want. To delete Norton's, and never see any trace of it ever again. When i install Nod32, can i still have AVG installed on my PC? i won't run them both, just NOD32 and AVG just to do scan's, or should i just delete AVG and run only NOD32. Any advice would be great. THANX IN ADVANCE!!!!!

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

3. ShunterAlhena

ShunterAlhena Registered Member

For AVG with NOD32, it is generally not recommended to have 2 AVs at once. However if you don't run the memory resident modules simultaenously, you shouldn't have any problems.
    But.. one of the main features of NOD32 is it's light resource consumption. Why spoil this with another AV, when NOD32 alone can protect your computer? :)

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi dannidasilva,

Welcome to Wilders!!!

I have moved your thread here to the other anti-virus forum so it will get better attention and response.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

NOD32 has better detection than AVG any day, therefore I suggest that you ditch AVG if you plan to use NOD32. :)

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Exactly right Firecat. But i'm curious as to why dannidasilva was using AVG instead of the antivirus component of systemworks.

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

If you are running NOD32 resident, then set your AVG as non-active and use it as an on-demand scanner (meaning it isn't running all the time)

I have several AV's as on-demain with NOD32 as my resident and have no problems.

8. dannidasilva

WOW!!!!! thanx alot guys for the great advice!!!!!!!! Kent, it's great to be here. HAMMER, I'm running AVG instead of Norton's because i hate Norton's!!!! it slows me down like crazy and really does not do anything else but that!!!! I have no doubt that NOD is the way to go, and i plan to delete all other AV on my PC. Once again thanx for all the advice!

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I always wondered why people write Norton's... It's just Norton without any extra letters atached.

10. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

That's easy ... if it's Norton's, it's not mine :D

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

RE: AVG

AVG may have not so impressive test results for detection, but it works in the field. At least I was so informed by a person who works the volunteer help desk at the Houston Area Computer Users League (HAL). They routinely use it to replace Norton on infected computers and rarely see the same machines again.

Additionally, AVG is the easiest to use of all the free AV's with both auto updating and a scheduled scan built in. Not that great on memory usage, but it does not slow down old hardware if the memory is there.

A poll over at DSLR in the software forum shows AVG to be the second most widely used AV, after Norton, with a big gap over the #3 spot.

12. dannidasilva

hi guys, i uninstalled both Norton's and AVG and installed NOD32. During my first scan with Nod32 it found 1 virus in my Labtop. I was amazed!!!!!! i've been running Norton's and AVG for so long now and they would always tell me that all was ok, but all was not ok i now see. So this was a hard virus to delete though because NoD32 said that it could not delete it, so i searched for the file and manually deleted it, did another scan, and the virus was gone. My hat goes off to NOD32. I would also like to say that.....call my crazy but my computer seems to be running alot smoother and quicker.

13. Firecat

What was the name of the virus? :)

14. derway

derway Registered Member

I just ran into the same thing - NAV for years, but then got NAV2005, and hated it! And got a trojan, due to symantec's slow update policy...

I have recently been trying out NOD and KAV, and I have to say, give KAV a serious try!

Now try running the KAV 5 trial, and you will find what a true feeling of security is, when it finds things that NOD missed. Also, I find KAV has MUCH less impact on system startup and general application usage speed than NOD, even with NOD's IMON turned off!

I think either one though, is a huge win compared to where NAV has ended up!

Don

15. Firecat

If you liked KAV 5, you probably wont switch AVs ever again after KAV 6 has released :D

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm hoping KAV 6 makes me stay for good. They have connectivity problems to fix in the beta. Only can get online when it's with certain firewalls. For that reason, I renewed my NOD32 license just in case. Plus, it's nice having NOD for at least backup.

17. Firecat

Good choice of AVs you got there :)

I'm pretty sure KAV6 will be fixed of all current bugs. :)

18. frank g

frank g Registered Member

i've been running norton anti-virus for sometime now fulltime and avg as back up or only on demmand scanning.....i decided to reinstall nod 32 back onto my computer..after a full scan with nod32 with info supplied by blackspear on how to get extra features from nod 32 post a while back. i found a trojan called
    C:program files\mozilla firefox\fire DLL.dll-win32/TrojanNotifier.Small.A trogan...
    even with two other anitvirusprograms couldn't even detect this...nod32 is still and remains unmatched...hats off

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

As someone who has used AVG on an older machine with 256 ram. I can say this information is correct.

20. dannidasilva

Hey Firecat, sorry i can't remember the name of the virus now because i was in such a rush to delete it because i was having trouble doing it. It was located in C:\Documents and Settings\username\WINDOWS\system or someting like that and it was envolved with JaVa 2. I also uninstalled Java because it was full of junk. I'm not so sure i know what AV you guys are calling KAV? Sorry i'm a newbie. What is KAV? THANX IN ADVANCE.

21. fosius

fosius Registered Member

KAV = Kaspersky Antivirus

22. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I AGREE!

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

tiagozt - your duplicate post has been removed. Everything has already been explained to you by another staff member but I will add a link to our TOS one more time.

24. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I changed the post. It's not the same and I removed "illegal" content that you said was against rules.

Can we try again?
    __
    Sorry, but I don't think that NOD32 is so good as I perceive that people here believe.
    When I used It's no detected many viruses - new and old.
    And... YES, the program was updated and full actived.
    My tests with NOD32 had disapproved it.
    Yes... is light to the computer, but many viruses that I received by mail (with fake greeting cards, for example), many viruses that I had in my computer for a long time, many viruses that other programs detects, NOD32 did not detect.
    I do not want to create controversy. I know that it had (and have) excellent results in some tests, I used this antivirus some time in the past, many people finds it the best, but in practical it don't detects many generic samples that other detects.
    ____
    NO illegal content, right?
    And I think you won't say "itsn't and opinion topic" because it's.
    And I'm not defamating NOD32
    OK
    ___
    You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or in violation of ANY law
    OK
    ___
    Furthermore, you agree not to post any links to warez sites or sites from which malware (viruses, worms, trojans, backdoors etc.) can be downloaded.
    OK

25. fosius

fosius Registered Member

You may be right, BUT there are so many people who had used NORTON, AVG, AVAST and other BIG antivirus programs and after switching to NOD32 they were surprised how many trojans, viruses, worms were in their PCs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.