Removing secure zone failed, lost space!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dschoppe, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

I've been exploring a trial version of Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation for 2 days now, and I've run into a serious problem with my laptop (Dell 700m). When I tried to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, and allowed it to create a secure zone, the process failed near the end with an ERROR indicating that a certain sector could not be written. The software completely froze, forcing a hard reset. When it rebooted, I asked TI CW to remove the secure zone. This too then failed with errors, but subsequently WinXP was able to boot.

However, now I've lost 30GB from my drive. It seems that the secure zone was removed but the space was never returned to the original partition.
    How do I fix this short of buying another program such as Partition Magic?

I really do not want to repartition, reformat and reinstall the OS and all appications from scratch as avoiding such an huge effort is exactly why I'm trying ATICW in the first place!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A separate issue: On another computer I have an Exabyte VXA-1 tape with a firewire interface. Though I did install the Acronis Storage Server, the tape drive is not recognized under ATICW. The tape drive has been working fine under Dantz Retrospect, so I know there is not a problem with the drive or setup.

Thanks,
    Don

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Don,

Follow the procedure detailed in this <recent post of mine> and you should be able to recover the unallocated space.

Sorry I'm unable to help you with your tape drive problem although, hopefully, someone else might be able to.

Regards

3. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Thanks! Will try tonight and post result.

Regards,
    Don

4. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Menorcaman,

Thanks very much for the advise. I followed the directions in the link you provided, and was able to recover my lost space successfully!

Thanks again!
    Don

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Don,

Glad I could assist. Thanks for reporting back.

Now lets just hope that Acronis Support (or other users) can help you solve the Exabyte VXA-1 tape drive problem.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dschoppe,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what exactly do you mean when saying that Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation 8.0 does not recognize the tape drive?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also find the build number as it is shown here and let me know it.

Does the Storage Servers icon appear in the list of the available devices when you are trying to create an image?

What operating system is installed on the PC with Acronis Storage Server installed?

Please let me know the exact model of that tape drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Hi Alexey,
    I installed TI Corp Workstaion build 1158, including the Management Console, Storage Server component, and Agent. When I select "create" image, I do not see the storage server icon in the list of destination devices. My tape drive is an Exabyte (Ecrix) VXA-1 with a firewire interface. It is my understanding that tape drives should be supported under Corp Workstation:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/comparison.html

However, just as an experiement, I downloaded a trial of Enterprise Server. It seems that server recongizes my tape drive just fine, and I'm now testing an image creation to this tape. My OS is Windows XP SP2.

Shouldn't TI CW recognize this tape drive as well? Enterprise Server is prohibitively expensive for the home environment, but I would very much like to have backups to HDD as well as tape. A also need the ability to image a RAID0 array on one of my computers with NVidia controller (MSI Neo2 Platinum, socket 939 motherboard).

Best regards,
    Don

8. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Alexey,

I just tried installing TI Corp Workstation on another computer on my LAN, to test if it can see the "remote" tape drive hosted under the Enterprise Server computer. It does not. I can also try to install a second copy of Enterprise Server on the LAN if you think it might provide useful information to you.

Again, all computers are running XPPro SP2 and not Windows server releases.

Regards,
    Don

9. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Well, the image creation "seemed" to work on the Exabyte VXA-1 tape, but a subsequent "check image" did not.

Here's the log entry:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="1158" product="Acronis True Image Enterprise Server" uuid="C2F7348D-2000-49CF-854B-CC2C65311174" version="8.0">
    <event code="2" id="1" message="The &quot;Current check operation&quot; operation started" module="100" time="1125424330" type="2" />
    <event code="504" id="2" message="Pending operation 3 started: &quot;Verifying image archive&quot;" module="1" time="1125424559" type="2" />
    <event code="3" id="3" message="Failed to read data from the hard disk drive. A possible reason might be bad sectors on the hard disk drive.
    : None" module="7" time="1125424579" type="4" />
    <event code="3" id="4" message="Failed to read data from the hard disk drive. A possible reason might be bad sectors on the hard disk drive.
    : None" module="7" time="1125424652" type="2" />
    <event code="502" id="5" message="Operation with partition &quot;0-0&quot; was terminated with code 3 &quot;Read error&quot;" module="1" time="1125424652" type="4" />
    <event code="5" id="6" message="Operation has completed with errors." module="100" time="1125424652" type="4" />
    </log>

Regards,
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.