Remove Contacts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

This is driving me nuts! I cannot remove/delete the broken desktop shortcut, "Contacts." It was a shortcut to MS Outlook contacts, I no longer use Outlook. Next the desktop was moved from c:\ to d:\

1. Windows desktop cleanup wizard can't see "Contacts"
    2. My 'Delete on Reboot' r-click 'Contacts' Delete on Reboot' missing from menu.
    3. Safe Mode no luck deleting from desktop or it's location at D:\
    4. Tried "Move on Reboot" failed
    5. "Orphan Finder" failed
    6. "EZ Clean" failed
    7. "Contacts" won't move, or be renamed
    8. "jV16" desktop cleaner can't see "Contacts

How it became broken, I deleted it, then I think I dragged it from windows trash bin instead of recovering it. Or something like that.
    See Pic:

Attached Files:

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Screamer,

I used command prompt & navigated the path to the folder containing 'contacts' & typed 'del contacts.*' this not only removed the offending shortcut, but removed 80% of my desktop shortcuts as well. Spent a good while, getting the icons back. Oh! I forgot should have been in post #1 used windows system restore which failed to remove the icon.

Why would command prompt & del command remove this stubborn icon, when so many other things failed?

Take Care
    Rico

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Beats meo_O For stubborn removal items which windows will not deal with, I use UnLocker. It's a great app to have onboard.

...screamer

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Screamer,

I'll check out 'Unlocker', normally my 'Delete on Reboot' is very reliable, but it was eliminated from the right click menu for 'Contacts' only. All the rest of the files, still have Delete on Boot as a r-click menu option.

Come on guys please explain why DOS command could do what others could not! Also please attempt to explain why so many desktop shortcuts were removed when this one shortcut finally deleted. Please!

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.