Remote Administrator Policies not applying on Windows 7 computers

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by Richard_P, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard_P

Richard_P Registered Member

Hi all,
    This has been a bug bear for me for awhile now. This morning I mastered policies and how to place machines into groups, and apply particular policies for the group (have it stick). But that didn't fix the reason I had a indepth look.

Problem:
    When one of my users sends Excel workbooks straight out of Excel (Send as attachment), and edits the body of the message, the message loses the body on delivery.

Discovered solution:
    When I tell Nod to append it's tag only to infected mail, the email keeps the body (IE Nod doesn't append anything to the end of the email). I have reproduced both the problem and solution.

Fix is easy (first thought). Add the computer to a policy (in Remote Administrator) that sets this.
    Problem is, her computer doesn't apply(?) the policy, so this setting doesn't get changed.

Scenario:
    She is setup as a normal user on a Windows 7 PC. She isn't an administrator (local or otherwise), or power user. She can't make changes herself to Nod. In fact, when a setting is changed in the advanced setting window, and closed, Nod just complains and doesn't save. I'm happy with that.

Is there a way to get this computer, and other Win7 machines to work with the policy? I have checked another Win7 machine, and it did the same thing. I haven't checked XP machines to confirm that the policy works, though it worked for my workstation.

I am setup as an administrator, and the policy stays for me.

Can I keep this setup, and ensure Nod keeps/applies the policy?

Sorry if this has already been answered. If so, could you point me to it? If you need more info, please let me know as well.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Rich.

2. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

Hello,

How are your policies configured in ESET Remote Administrator Policy Manager? Do you have child policies created and applied to the clients? Is the specific policy configured to "Append tag messages to received and read email: To infected email only"?

Also, what policy options do you have set? For example:
    Each policy has two basic attributes which define how active configuration parameters are adopted by child policies (listed in the Policy attributes & actions section): Force over any children policy - forces all active parameters to inherited policies. If the child policy differs, the merged policy will adopt all active parameters from the parent policy. Down replicable policy - activates replication to child policies, i.e. it can serve as a default policy for lower servers and can also be assigned to clients connected to lower servers.

Additionally, you can verify the policy that is being applied to your clients in ERA, on the Clients page, see the "Policy Name" column.

For additional information, please review the following ESET knowledgebase article:

What is the ESET Remote Administrator (ERA) Policy Manager and how does it work?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN962

3. Richard_P

Richard_P Registered Member

Hi Tyef,
    Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for replying. I have checked the policy and where the computer sits and it looks good to me.

When i checked it after your reply, I discovered that I had renamed a policy or group, and that had dis joined the grouping to the policy.

I corrected that, but the policy still want to roll out. I have now upgraded the client to the most up to date version, but the policy still didn't roll.

I'm going to keep bashing at it, but in the mean time, I manually changed the setting to correct the problem. Its strange though how it doesn't seem to work to non admin users on Windows 7.

Thanks for you Help Tyef,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.