Release Candidate - No UAC Prompts Under Vista Ultimate SP1 From Standard User Accoun

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by bigbw, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbw

bigbw Registered Member

I started to trial the above ESS 4.0 Release Candidate with a view to moving from Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 but have encountered the same user rights issues stopping me making changes with as I did when I tried ESS 3.0 as a potential replacement.

I never sign onto Administrator. I do what Microsoft recommend and use a standard user account, and let Vista UAC prompt me for the Administrator password when installing software. I have done this ever since I installed Vista in Feb 2007 and not had any problems.

But having uninstalled Kaspersky and installed ESS Smart Security (which prompted me for the Administrator password like most software installs), as the install was completing a prompt appeared identifying my network and asked me if my PC should be private or shared. I selected Shared but then a message box appeared saying there were insufficient user rights and my PC could not be seen on the network anymore.

The Firewall then prompted me for rules (because I had set that option early on in the install), but when I check the Remember action box to create a permanent rule it fails with a "Failed to change settings" message.

Trying to set any options from the GUI or right clicking the Smart Security icon in the System Tray resulted in either:
    a. Appearing to make the change but doing nothing or
    b. Producing a message box saying "An error occurred while saving the configuration".

If I sign off the standard user account and onto Administrator then I don't get the above problems. But I can't keep signing off and onto Administrator to add a rule and/or change an option and then back onto my standard user account. Besides which most of my applications aren't set up to run on Administrator so I won't get the rule prompts on there anyway. And finally I don't want to be signed onto Administrator.

Is there not a way that ESS Smart Security can be administered from a standard user account and a UAC prompt issued for the Administrator password when required?

I thought that ESS 4.0 Release Candidate had UAC support so whenever Administrator privileges were needed, a prompt would be issued for the Administrator password when making changes on a standard user account?

When I tried ESS 3.0 I marked egui.exe as "Run as Administrator" to try and get round the problem. But at startup I get "Windows has blocked some startup programs" and have to right click on the message and click an option to run it, then supply the Administrator password.

I've Emailed a copy of this to the betasupport@eset.sk as well so hopefully any user advice from this forum coupled with information from the beta developers will enable me to obtain a solution. Otherwise I'll have to give ESS a miss and look for something else when my Kaspersky licence expires in 2 weeks' time - which would be a shame because apart from the major UAC problem I like the rest of the product and I've found the ESS UK support very quick and knowledgeable so far.

2. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. bigbw

bigbw Registered Member

Thanks, ESS3. I enabled the option you showed me in your first image file and it now appears to work for me too.

I did see the option when I looked at the V4 settings but when I looked at the help file I thought this option was for systems that had no UAC support (e.g. XP) because the help text reads:

"Requre administrator rights (system without UAC support)

select this option to prompt the current user (if he or she does not have administrator rights) to enter administrator username and password when modifying certain system parameters (similar to the UAC in Windows Vista). The modifications include disabling protection modules or turning off the firewall".

Thanks very much for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.