Reinstalling Windows

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by sportsfan7700, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I have absolutely no idea where to put this nor did I see a thread on this recently.

How often do you reinstall the OS? I try to reinstall every 6 months to a year roughly. (I know about Macrium Free, but have never really used it) Thinking I'll do it around Christmas time.

Sorry if this isn't the right area, just had no idea where to put this..Matt

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Why? Just on G.P.s?
    Macrium Reflect or any other imaging software doesn't 'reinstall the OS', btw-- it just puts a backup image you've made of an already installed OS, programs, etc. back onto the hard drive.

I last reinstalled XP over two years ago. I only did that because I felt like putting the OEM version back onto this machine rather than continue using the full retail version I had put on it three years prior to that.

I have no intention of reinstalling again for any reason like 'just on general principles'. Why should I? The machine runs just like it did the day I reinstalled the OEM version over two years ago. There's no file corruption, there's no issue that needs repairing.

3. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Just because I try to go into every new year with a clean slate (call it a new year's resolution, I guess).

I haven't tried 7 yet but I suspect when I buy it it will be easier and more resource friendly then Vista.

4. ABee

ABee Registered Member

The general consensus is that Win7 is a far superior OS to Vista, yes.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't have a schedule for re-installation, rarely ever need to do so because of disk imaging. Doing it regularly puts unnecessary strain on your hard drive imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.