Reinstall? BSOD, lockups and other issues

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by techtoday, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techtoday

techtoday Registered Member

I do want this program to work, but I have had innumerable problems. Now, it is just in a never-ending busy state at startup. So, I want to try it from scratch. I want to completely uninstall Returnil and then re-install it.

How do I do that: I just bought a three-computer package of Returnil System Safe Pro, and I can't find documentation on how to make sure that I can get the Pro version back after a reinstall without using one of my remaining slots.

Please do not ask me to send you logs. And, do not tell me you will report the problems to your technical people. I've read two years of your forum, and you can just wear people down by asking them for more and more info.... and nothing happens, except maybe saying it will be fixed in the next version. I've done enough of my own diagnostic work.

You should explain to potential customers that, among other things, using the Pro version's capabilities is much more system intensive than the free version.

So, I want to give your program another clean shot at usability. Simply tell me how to uninstall and reinstall while keeping all three Pro licenses.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello techtoday and welcome to the forums :)

How to uninstall:

Note: make note of the current Installation ID (preferences > Advanced tab) by copy/pasting the number shown so you can include it in your PM (see below)

1. Open the add/remove programs feature in Windows
    2. Locate the Returnil System Safe entry and select
    3. Click uninstsall/remove
    4. Follow the Wizard and then allow the computer to restart

The software will be uninstalled when you restart the computer.

How to reassign licensing to a new system following retirement an/or uninstall/reinstall:

1. Send me a PM with your License Number (key) and the appropriate Installation IDs (see above)
    2. I will then clear the license assignment(s) at the server

Once the previous license assignment has been cleared, you will then be able to assign the license to the expected number of maximum seats available.

Mike

3. techtoday

As I noted previously, when I start Returnil, its processes become continuously busy. I can't click on or access any part of Returnil.

So, I have no way of getting the number you request. Since I bought the three licenses only a few days ago, I do have invoice numbers, etc. Are your records sufficiently coordinated to use that info??

I am trying to resolve this issue without countless messages back and forth, and without my getting caught up in discussing your weak, or worse, business practices.

So, please, let's resolve this quickly.

4. Coldmoon

techtoday,
    There is no reason to be aggressive in your replies as I am attempting to assist you so please step back a bit and help me to help you...

1. This is the program interface and not the computer in general - yes?

2. If yes, did you activate the cache wipe option (Virtual Mode > Settings > Advanced section > Wipe all... option)? If yes, has there been a great deal of activity (changes), or saving of very large files (ex: game sessions) or a very large number of concurrent changes that might have filled the cache at a previous point?

3. How long have you waited for the program to become "un-busy"? that is, finish the task it is performing at some time interval? If no, please check the rvs3.log file in C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3\Log and check the last section for any potential error messages.

4. Check your administrative event viewer log for any application entries related to Returnil and let me know the exact text of the error if present.

Mike

5. techtoday

You suggest that as a customer I was "aggressive" in my last message. That says a lot about your company. I have made a very simple request -- to reinstall your software. . . An inconsequential task for most software vendors -- security oriented or not. And, yet, here we begin your usual string of questions that side-step my request.

You asked:
    1. This is the program interface and not the computer in general - yes?

The program has deteriorated to the point that it will not start up and remains in a busy state. All programs on the computer are affected by the high CPU usage of Returnil. (I've read all your explanations about memory, but the effects are very real.)

2. If yes, did you activate the cache wipe option (Virtual Mode > Settings > Advanced section > Wipe all... option)? If yes, has there been a great deal of activity (changes), or saving of very large files (ex: game sessions) or a very large number of concurrent changes that might have filled the cache at a previous point?

It has been a few days since I set up the program because I spent time isolating the operational problems, which ultimately pointed to your software. I followed your site's suggestions for doing a wipe upon start-up; I'm not sure if that is the "Wipe all" setting and cannot confirm it since I can't access the program now. I do not play games, probably did some file downloads, and read a lot of info on the Web. I did nothing that was out of the ordinary or outside the function of your software as described on your web site.

3. How long have you waited for the program to become "un-busy"? that is, finish the task it is performing at some time interval? If no, please check the rvs3.log file in C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3\Log and check the last section for any potential error messages.

Returnil is busy for many hours after trying to open it. The only way I can stop the endless cycle is to reboot the system or use "end process." The latest log with today's dates shows no errors. (I didn't leave it running very long while trying to get the ID number you requested). However, moving up higher in the log to yesterday's results, there are more than a hundred errors reading:
    2012-05-07 12:03:18 err COMApiHandlerGeneric::Fire_Progress[698]: Failed to trigger ProgressCallback(); HRESULT: 80010100, ArgErr: 0

4. Check your administrative event viewer log for any application entries related to Returnil and let me know the exact text of the error if present.
    Surprisingly, I see nothing in the event logs remotely suggesting an error or warning connected to Returnil or its related processes.

All that said, I'm a customer, not your employee. I don't want to play diagnostic games with you. I'm not asking you to examine my computer and find out what happened. By reading more than a year of messages on this forum, I now better understand the flaws of your software and will try to work around them.

So, I'm back to my very simple question: How can I reinstall the software without losing my paid licenses?

Despite your accusation, I have been relatively reserved in my prior messages. I'll make it more emphatic this time: Either explain how I can fully uninstall and reinstall with my paid licenses or refund my money! Or, I'll report to Paypal about your lack of fulfillment.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Coldmoon

I did explain how to uninstall the software with detailed instructions. Did you actually attempt to uninstall the software? If yes, did you get any error messages? If yes, what is the EXACT text of that error?

Please check your services tab (open the task manager) and look for the rvsmonbl service. Highlight that entry and then right click > Stop service. Next, open the C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3 folder and delete the files with a *.rdb extension (leave the one with a .RDB extension in place).

Restart your computer and then attempt to open the program interface. Are you able to open it at this point?

7. techtoday

Re: Reinstall? BSOD, lockups and other issues that are insane

This is incredible: Are you following the message thread at all? You seem to selectively read only pieces of it.

My repeated question is how do I completely uninstall and reinstall without losing my three paid licenses.

Previously, you told me that to preserve the license, I must access the program and:
    "make note of the current Installation ID (preferences > Advanced tab) by copy/pasting the number shown so you can include it in your PM"

I then told you that I can't do that because the program has become inaccessible. I offered to figure out a way around that by using an invoice number. You never responded to that suggestion nor have you given any other guidance about preserving my paid license.

I have not tried to uninstall the program because you keep asking for information that might be impossible to provide if I did. I just disabled it. Even so my concern about uninstall is valid, since lots of software leaves garbage around when the routine Windows uninstall is used -- thus some vendors use a customized uninstall.

Please show this thread to another executive at Returnil because it needs a fresh look from your end. I've been asking a question about preserving my three paid license in an uninstall and reinstall -- a very routine, simple process for any other software vendor. Such uninstalls and reinstalls occur with every computer user. Your last reply did not even attempt to answer the licensing issue. Am I the only person that paid for this software?

Somehow, you are missing the point of inquiry. So, please, get someone to take another look. And, yes, I am not going to let this issue die just because you are unable/unwilling to provide a very basic, essential customer service.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  8. Coldmoon

techtoday,
    Please stop the histrionics and realize that you will not loose your paid licensing. All we need to do is to clear the previous license assignment(s) at the server and then you will be able to reassign the license key to new client installations up to the max your licensing allows. I addressed this in my original reply:

If you don't have access to that, you can actually RECOVER your license key automatically using the following URL (has been posted in the forums before):

http://adm.returnilvirtualsystem.com/license_recovery_request.html

With this I can locate your current clients in the DB and then clear the assignments from the clients you identify as those that I should clear. Yes, this action requires your explicit permission and instructions to do.

This is a simple task that does not have anything to do with trying to help you resolve the GUI crash issue you report which is what I have been concentrating on here rather than expanding on irrelevance as I describe above.

As for uninstalling the software, I have also told you how to do this in my original reply. IF you are not able to do this due to the Virtual Mode being active, you simply do as I instructed for the uninstall from within safe mode UNLESS you have changed the default preference for disabling Virtual Mode while in Windows Safe Mode.

9. techtoday

Re: Reinstall? BSOD, lockups and other issues that are insane

I have the license key. But, you never told me you would help me without the Installation IDs that are buried within the application. That ID is impossible for me to retrieve because Returnil will not open, as I said before.

Why am I not surprised: The link you just gave me also requires the Installation ID. But, I understand you will take care of the problem without it.

I have installed only one of the three licenses. I will send you the license key -- one key for three licenses. I anticipate your reply soon. And, I will report positive progress in this forum when it happens.

I voice my frustration at this belabored process, and you accuse me of "histrionics." You suggest that my efforts to simply reinstall your licensed program is an "irrelevance." Interesting. . .

10. Coldmoon

See your PM as there are actually two license assignments so you will need to identify which one to clear or whether both should be cleared.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.