Regtool users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

After just spending some time talking to an online "helper" at regtool and getting absolutely nowhere,id like to know if you can manually ignore an entry that reg tool finds ,so that it wont show again?I asked this simple question but after the answers i recieved from the guy on live chat ,i don't know whether to believe him or not as he comes across to much of a hard seller for my liking. The 30 day trial is supposed to be fully functional...
    http://www.regtool.com/download_now.php
    and indeed it does everything, like removing entries etc ,but has no way of manually ignoring an entry that i can tell.I find it hard to believe that unless i purchase it ,that option remains missing...for your amusement heres the chat...

................................................................................
    ~Private communications removed per the Terms Of Service for using the forums.~
    ............................................................................

So if anybody uses regtool, can you let me know whether it has manual ignore of registry entries? so that it wont be found again?
    tia
    ellison

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2009
  2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Not exactly what you asking for,but CCleaner has the option to exclude reg entries.
    Also its free !!

3. ellison64

Hi Huppi..
    Yeah ive used crap cleaner and very good it is too.I just like trying different registry software (using a full backup just in case of course),just to see if they are as good as is made out or just plain dangerous.Regtool seems to have good reviews but the support that i experienced is atrocius so that has put me off straight away.Anyway thanks for the reply.
    ellison

4. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

The only people who trumpet this software are the shamware and scareware industry and some "tech" affiliates, who make money with referrals. Note the newness and anonymity and cookie-cutter design of your particular software, it looks to be part of the industry.

If you really were to play with registry cleaner software, then suggest you stick with something like Macecraft, Eusing, CCleaner or Wise (being careful about toolbar installs), Registry Mechanic by PC Tools, Registrar Registry Manager by Resplendence, Auslogics, EasyCleaner, TweakNow (there are probably some more that could be added to this list of generally responsible companies that have a dedicated specialty registry cleaning app .. some of these are freeware, some are paid, some are standalone, some are with other tools and there are about 5-10 utility suites that have one that might be almost comparable). Companies that have been around a while and are not part of the recent explosion of the google-shamware industry.

However there are real risks, and little gain, with any of them, if using their registry cleaner component. Some are far more conservative than others, better on backup and restore, and more helpful in making decisions. Personally I think the time wasted trying to figure out what is a valid entry is far more than what you would gain even over years of use. The only registry cleaning I like is (a) trying to keep the system clean overall and (b) Revo Uninstaller used carefully at the time of the uninstall, used for the leftover folders and files and reg entries.

For CCleaner I put a post in their forum asking how to grey out the registry cleaner function, for when I put the software on other puters (avoiding the little ebay crapware check and appreciating the excellence of the software and knowing it is fully free, even in business environments).

Unfortunately, Nirsoft, who himself makes excellent software and afaik has little in the way of advertising and affiliates, has at least one link to "RegTool" on his sites, which looks like he makes a commission on the sale. You will find similar in his driver section, leading to "Driver Robot" and "Driver Checker" .. two more softwares to avoid.

(Nir Sofer is only one of many techs who sets up these types of arrangements with negative-result software, however since his products are generally integrity-plus, and he is a software developer par excellence, his dalliance with the dark side is more notable, and hopefully will be corrected shortly. I just noticed it recently.)

Oh, I doubt that the paid product is any different than the trial. The company is part of a sham industry. Suggestion, under no circumstances give them a credit card number, and if you have, watch the billing very carefully, ready to reverse.

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I run the website rating tool known as WOT (Web of Trust.) WOT says that fellow web surfers like us have rated RegTool as a very poor risk. I'd be very skeptical of it...

Attached Files:

6. Steven Avery

Agreed, Han. WOT is very excellent in highlighting and avoiding the shamware and scareware and scamware in registry cleaners, system optimizers and other products.

If a product sounds interesting WOT is the first-line check, along with the user reviews in Snapfiles and Fileforum (while Cnet is more likely to be gamed) along with the thread discussions here at Wilders and Donationcoder.

Some of the techie blogs and products online are in the pocket of the scammers, to various degrees. Somewhat surprising examples of this were given in a WOT thread.

Generally those checks above, WOT and Wilders etc. will give you full safety.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  7. ellison64

Hi..
    Good post Steven.Ive finally settled for glary utilties.I actually have a licence for Ace utilities and Macecrafts JV16.Ace utilities is similar to glary in being a very safe cleaner.Jv16 is safe too however i personally think its very awkward to use.I hate the fact that when you want to remove any entries,it asks you to name the backup...it just irritates me when every other cleaner just backs up with a time and date.I also dont like the layout of it.I still prefer the original regcleaner by the author for its layout and simplicity ,but alas it doesnt work on vista.Your absolutley right about regtool.I contacted them by email to ask a few questions about whether it had manual ignore of found entries ,and they said yes.When i asked them to show me where this option is they never replied back.Obvious scammers in my opinion.
    ellison

8. Steven Avery

Regtool users - Nir Sofer checks and corrects

Hi Folks,

Update - informed by Nir that he has searched a lot about RegTool and a few other tools that he had placed on his site -- thinking that they would be good for the novice -- and that he has removed about five of them from his site. That includes RegTool talked about here, some driver utilities and some uninstall utilities (which I had not noticed).

e.g on his RegScanner page
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

Nir maintains a link to Registry Mechanic and JV16, which we know to be the sounder registry commercial-ware products, and RegTool is simply gone - gone - gone.

Kudos to Nir !

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.