regseeker

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by yvesj, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

hi .am back .i have been running {regseeker }now for about 2 week .what i like to know .is rigth now am deleting only the GREEN ONE ,i will gave you the name of the red files .which i dont know the one to delete . I DO HAVE 176 RED. HERE

[ EXTENSION NOT USED ]
    [FILE NOT USED ]
    [INVALID ACTIVEX/COM. ENTRY[CLSID]
    [OPEN WITH ENTRY UNUSED
    there is 176 of them red .do you know a safe way to delete them thank you .
    yvesjo_O

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

If you manage to get rid of all the GREENS,
    (into the Regseeker backup folder),
    and your machine is still running well for a week, you could then empty the backup folder.Alternatively you could Rename the backup folder, 'backups2'
    and make a new folder, 'Backup'.

Then re. the 176 REDS, it depends how game you are, you could send the lot to the Backup folder and wait for a few weeks to see if all goes well on your machine, otherwise you could go via the Cape, deleting in lots of five, to the backup folder, and waiting a time to see that all is well in case you have to
    Merge the five back into the registry.

You are aware yvesj that you must be very careful when fiddling about
    in the registry, and that's why slow is mostly good, unless you have uptodate IMAGES of your OS, then you can throw a bit of caution to the wind.

3. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you .well tell me about it the fisrt time i deleted the green one i did 622 one by one .shitt.now every second day there is maybe 35 .as for the red one well i will live alone for now .but the only thing every second day am get 2 extra one .after i deleted the 622 i had 171 red one now 175 .so am going up .not down .ha well it better to have a working computer then not .now as for the backup it safe to delete them all o_O .i do have a page and 1/2 .with all the date on them .my computer is working very good it is not bad for dailup connection .well i never use higth speed so there you go .
    yvesj

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes, if you deleted the 622 REDS and your machine is running well, then you can empty the Backup folder because it's running well without any of the 622.

Each day you will get new ones (mostly GREEN), but once you have done the initial tough maintenance it's easier to cope with any new ones.
    622 and 170+, was a build up over time.

New REDS are very infrequent, I can't guess how you managed to end up
    with 170+, you must have been very busy, installing and uninstalling stuff maybe.

5. yvesj

yvesj Registered Member

thank you .i did not deleted 622 red one.what i did is i deleted 622 green one .i never deleted any red one with .sorry if i did not explain rigth .well you know some thing it did not bother me about all the red one and green .till i scanned my registery .that is what they say what you dont know do not bother you.
    yvesj

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

My mistake yvesj - I meant to say 622 GREEN but lost concentration for a second.

Regards.

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I had some problems with regseeker. Needed to restore after using it after deleting the greens only. Not necessarily a knock on the program, but just the reality that a reg cleaner might be good for one system and not good for another. I use ccleaner and eusing with no problems. May not be the best, but it doesn't give my system restore a workout.

8. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I am a bit surprised Benny, and have to wonder what type of GREENS
    they may have been ( for future ref.) - but it's a dicey area the registry and I did read about several people losing RS for something less aggress. - mostly CC.

9. steve161

I should elaborate, it didn't crash my system, but it crippled a few programs that I use occasionally, and the back-up function did not correct the situation. As to what type of greens, it was a while ago, when I was a newbie (as opposed to my present novice status)

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Even if greens are safe to delete, it doesn't hurt to look at the entrys to see what you are deleting.

11. steve161

Agreed. Live and learn.

12. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Reading your posts brought me to a day about 7-8 months ago when a cousin of mine left her recently acquired notebook to me in order to place there a firewall and a new antivirus and to make the usual Services streamline and some other tweaks.
    After i had done all that, almost automatically, i installed and ran RegSeeker 1.52 ,just released, in her notebook.......
    (I am using RegSeeker since many years, i almost blindly deleted all it found most of the times without any problem in all my pcs)
    ......but no sooner i had rebooted the machine my hair raised in desperation! : i was actually watching the notebook desktop where HALF of the icons were missing!
    and ,even worse,a check revealed it was not just the icons....but it was the full programs as well with nearly half of the OS,which was XP,to be missing!!!
    After a very bad minute i collected myself ( i was just seeing myself hanging...as i had no recovery disk or MS disk to recollect the OS)
    and checked if a previous Recovery point existed.....luckily there was still a week-old one available and i thanked the Heavens for it!!
    The system recovered 99%,losing only a few useless documents and i was safe again, but what a fright i got...
    Useless to say that from then on i I DO WATCH what i delete .....:D
    (and i'll never make the mistake of using a reg cleaner in a new pc,too)

13. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I definitely had problems using Regseeker 1.52, fortunately restoring the backups got me out of trouble.

What specifically happened was:-

1) Regseeker deleted a Reg Key used by websites (via a .vbs script) to determine whether you have the latest version of flash player. Without that Reg Key, flash player will not work on those sites and you keep being told to install it even though you already have it installed;

2) Regseeker also deleted the Reg Keys responsible for ordering the line-up of items in my I.E. Favourites folder so I could no longer find entries quickly.

I didn't dare use the experimental section dealing with Services (Enum/Root Legacy etc) in case that led to similar problems!

I have now gone back to using Regseeker 1.45 which has been trouble free for me.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U mean Eusing is less aggressive?

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ditched Regseeker after using it one time. The way it's programmed, is unacceptable.
    If you look at the way how Regseeker solved "exclusions" and you compare this with the way how Amust's Registry Cleaner (and many other registry cleaners) solved this, you will see the big difference.
    Although it's freeware, it's still not an excuse.

16. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I still use RegSeeker,in spite of the fact i dont trust it like i did in previous releases, mainly for using its 'Find' in the Registry feature (or also 'find' in files),which saves a lot of time compared to manually managing the Registry deletion, when i uninstall a program ,for instance.

I paid about 9 € for RegSupreme , a standalone Registry cleaner,by the creator of jv16 power tools, which i used in the past when it was a free program. I find it very reliable,more so than the new RegSeeker.
    Considering the price , i could refer to it as almost a Free tool...

When uninstalling programs i've found these steps are necessary:

1-uninstall with AddRemove / Uninstaller
    2-reboot
    3-get rid of remaining folders and files
    4-use RegSeeker 'FIND' in order to find-delete Reg entries/ remaining files
    5-Uninstall with TotalUninstall
    6-reboot
    7-Clean the Registry with RegSupreme
    8-reboot

After all this,i very seldom need to go to regedit and search for remnants.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is the RIGHT way to use a registry cleaner and to keep it under control.

18. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Just to say that RegSeeker 1.55 is now out and has significant improvements over earlier builds. It is much safer to use and does not delete the inappropriate entries that bugged the original 1.5 versions.

I give it a big thumbs up! :thumb:

19. Vissionary

Vissionary Registered Member

I always have deleted everything with RegSeeker and have never had any problems.

20. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have just bought Amust - based mainly on your recommendation :D
    The ignore list solution on Amust is neat but what is the problem with the Regseeker approach to exclusion ?

21. btman

btman Registered Member

RegSeeker is arguably the best free registry cleaner there is. IMO. If not, point me to one thats better.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Look for Wise Registrycleaner,entry's are clearly clarified,IMO the safest around and free.

23. Long View

Thanks Huupi

Just downloaded Wise Registry Cleaner.

On an old computer ( old enough to have once used Spybot) I ran
    RegSeker 1.52
    Crap Cleaner
    JV16 2006
    Easy Cleaner 2
    and Amust Registry Cleaner.

I was surprised that for a cleaner that claims to be the safest it still found 57 items that might need removing. Most items were ticked as not full safe to remove - when I could see that they were just junk refs. Removed everything and have no problems so far.

It always amazes me how you can run 10 cleaners and they all want to clean different things

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Which speaks volumes about their unreliability.

25. Long View

I would prefer the word validity. Most Reg cleaners are very reliable - they will remove the same junk time after time - but not one that I have ever seen does the job that it says it will.

Even a quick look thru Regedit shows numerous references that none of these programs picked up. At the end of the day it hardly matters - its just curious that nothing close to a really good cleaner exists. You either have to live with a pile of junk, or run numerous programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.