Regseeker beta update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

My favorite registry cleaner. Thanks!!

Rich

2. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

thanks a ton ron.and its still beta??1.35 was rocksolid and no bugs for me.better than some paid ones out there..i am quite sure this would also be rocksolid. so i wonder what the stable version would be like..

3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Has anyone else noticed that you normally have to run RegSeeker twice to get everything? If you run it once, delete everything it finds and then run it again right after you get some more entries, then after that if you run it a third time it finds nothing.

4. dog

dog Guest

Yes, that's right Matt. ;)

It will only find those upper-level issues which are related to what was deleted with the first scan, once those entries are removed, otherwise without the related items removed, they'd appear to be valid entries. I always run consecutiive passes until it finds nothing. ;)

HTH,

Steve

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Thanks Ron

6. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

ronjor:
    The old version 1.35 showed Beta in the verison number in the program itself;
    this one doesn't show beta, but the download link does -

there is some question if this is a full final release -

any idea? :D

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Chachazz

I don't know about "final". The beta link is Version 1.45.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi ronjor,
    I am testing Regseeker for the first time. When I click on "Clean the Registry" what is the difference between the red item and green item which appear in the list?

9. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

This version is much more powerful than before, and it now needs a bit more care with deletions. This is good coz it shows it's really digging deep... but it is now finding stuff that you need to be absolutely sure you don't need.

I always deleted everything... red and green... and never had one single problem with any previous version. But with this one... it's returning loads of entries in the Hkey_Classes_Root scan shown as red with invalid activex/com (CLSID) enties. On taking these out... I then found problems with not being able to get online with my AOL software... then running another scan... I got loads more invalid AOL entries, so obviously something taken out with my first pass was not actually invalid... and AOL related.

Anyway... I put the first batch of deletions back... rebooted... and no problems again getting AOL to fire up properly.

So I will now need to go through all those first entries with much more detail and testing etc. That's ok... I love doing that sorta stuff anyway.

So in a way... this new Regseeker is excellent... I like registry cleaners that need some care with, otherwise it all gets too easy.

Take care with this one... if anyone is not happy in the registry... go easy with this version... but I love it.

Do the guys that wrote it ever come here... if they do and see this... thanks from me for what I consider the best free registry cleaner available.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been using this for years, truly a good regcleaners which does its job without much drama.

11. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

There seems to be a new feature under 'Installed Applications', namely 'Invalid Add/Remove entries'. I don't remember this feature before, does anyone know what it does and whether it is safe to remove these items?

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

hmm... i don't recall that feature either in past versions. I have 25 entries there and would also like to know if they are safe to delete.

snowbound

13. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

that is the entries in the add/remove programs in the control panel which u have uninstalled but have left their entries there.check them and remove wisely..

14. TopperID

Thanx Clansman.

Strange thing though, I have 34 entries and none of them seem to relate to things I have uninstalled through Add/Remove! So I really don't know what to think - best to leave them alone I guess.

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TopperID,

I have been trying out the new beta and I am not sure I like it as much as the old version. The old version I could just click on everything, and I knew I would be alright. It seems like the new beta is more aggressive, and I find my self very tentative on deletes.

Comments anyone?

Rich

16. Matt_Smi

I kind of feel the same way, I am more nervous with this version. Before I use it I always make sure all the backups of my important data on my external HD are up to date. And at least the program makes back up for you, but still. I kind of wish I did not delete the old version and kept both around. I wonder if I can still download it somewhere?

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Rich,

Read my issue about Ewido/RegSeeker here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=80303

I restored my Regseeker backup then it works fine again. After a new cleaning I excluded this one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
    "Verdana (TrueType)"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Fonts\\VERDANA.TTF"

Anything else I deleted again (and backupped ofcourse).
    That did the trick for Ewido (thanks to Fish25)
    So far no other probs here :)

Regards,

Gerard

18. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the additional info Gerard.

Cya around,
    Rich

19. TopperID

Aw heck! I've just cleared out a lot of entries the old version didn't find - looks like I'm going to have to keep a close lookout for problems.

I heard that if you try and restore registry backups after a certain time lapse it becomes problematic to do so. Does anyone know whether that is correct?

20. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TopperID,

I went back to the prior version. I'm not comfortable with the beta version yet.

The problem in restoring registry entries is that they may introduce "logical' inconsistencies because they are no longer in temporal order. So if you delete entries and immedately restore, without any intermediary updates to the registry, then you can be reasonably confident that no logical inconsistencies have been introduced. But if you backup and then there are lots of updates to the registry and you then restore ... well then the registry might be completely out of wack because related registry entries will not longer be in sync.

Others may offer a different explanation, but this is how I view it based upon my understanding of the registry. The way the registry is designed is pretty poor since it is wide open to this kind of problem. However, system restore should be able to bring back the registry to a logically consistent state at a point in time - i.e. the point in time the a full system registry backup was taken. However, information will be lost because you are going back to a prior point in time.

Rich

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  21. TopperID

Thanx Rich.

You could be right about going back to the old version - I'm going to wait and see how things pan out before doing any more 'cleaning' with the new version.

I really don't like the look of what happened to Gerardwil!

22. Matt_Smi

Does anyone know if/where the old version can be downloaded? If not I wonder if someone could send it to me somehow. Damn why did i delete mine :mad:

23. snowbound

I could send u a copy of the the 1.30 beta.

That's the one i was using before downloading this new version....

PM me your email addy if u would like it.

snowbound

24. Matt_Smi

Thanks snowbound, I don’t need it any more though, my friend still has 1.35 on his comp so I will just get it from him. I had been using 1.35 for a while now with no problem, I just don’t feel comfortable using this new version.

25. snowbound

Does anyone recall the differences or improvements between 1.30 and 1.35?

I vaguely remember downloading it, having some kind of problem so i returned to 1.30 which i never had issues with. :)

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.