Registry question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    when i delete something from the registry why does it keep coming back?I dont install this either--its quicktime player.I have to delete it every day.i use Reg cleaner and also Win Cleaner registry cleaner.

thanks
    Rita

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Are you talking about QTask? You probably have QTask.exe in your startup.

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi close_hauled
    no,its quicktime player.every time i sign on to aol it gives a message:you dont have quicktime installed would you like to install it and i click no.even so every time i look at the registry there are some components of it there and i delete them but next day there back.I really wouldnt mind having this player except i only have 128 ram and i expect it would slow the puter down as i already have so many programs etc. on it
    thanks for reply
    Rita

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Rita;

QTask is part of QuickTime. It's usually in your startup and runs in the background. You can install the latest version of QuickTime without it being resident. Just open up the QuickTime control panel. Select "Browser Plug-in" and turn off the system tray icon.

Is AOL trying to play a graphic at startup, and QuickTime is too slow?

Close Hauled

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AOL and Quicktime link

Looks like they want you to have Quicktime.

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi ron
    it seems that way-thanks for the link.i read it.i had guessed it was a part of aol 9.0--maybe ill go ahead and install it

Rita

7. kris7

kris7 Registered Member

This may be spyware. I had the same thing on 2 computers and when I unload "QuickTime" it still keeps adding back to my registry. Here's what I found on another site:
    "Spyware usually makes use of filenames that don't make their purpose obvious. For example, one piece of Spyware has something called qtask.exe running at startup; that kinda looks like the QuickTime pre-loader qttask.exe, doesn't it? That's no accident, and it makes it tough for someone to know what to remove from a system crawling with Spyware."

I used Ad-Aware and Spyhunter and both found several instances of spyware on my PC. Kontiki and Backweblite were the only ones that said they had to be removed. It seems to have fixed the problem.
    [COLOR=Red]Removed[/COLOR]

Email address removed to prevent harvesting--Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2005
  8. hadi

hadi Guest

To remove QuickTime for Windows:

1. Choose Start > All Programs > QuickTime > Uninstall QuickTime (Windows XP) or Start > Programs > QuickTime > Uninstall QuickTime (Windows 2000, Me, or 9:cool:.

2. In the QuickTime Uninstall dialog box, select Uninstall Everything.

3. Delete the quicktime.cpl and quicktime.qtp files in the Windows\System32 folder.

4. Empty the Recycle Bin and restart Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.