Registry Protection

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by toploader, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

i read somewhere that MS is encouraging software developers not to use the registry when installing software but to use a seperate file created by the software at install time.

if this is the case would registry protection software becomes less useful as installs can bypass the registry completely?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Sounds more like they are trying to prevent clutter in the registry, which sounds like a good thing to me. The trouble is, programs like IE pile up the registry with clutter.

A program is still most likely to use the registry if it wants to autostart. So I don't think registry protection will become redundant.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

That would be an about-turn given that the registry was first introduced (in Windows for Workgroups 3.1 IIRC) to avoid having separate files created (and especially to avoid applications making their own additions to the system.ini file).
    Very unlikely - the main security concern with the Registry is Windows' own use of it. As long as Windows uses the Registry to determine what to run on startup, it will still need monitoring to detect any malware additions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.