Registry cleaners

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CraigM31, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I agree. The only time I might experiment is on my old machine when I get a new one.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

As long as one knows what one is doing, registry cleaners are safe, and even useful.

For example, there are quite a few products that save their MRU (most recently used) filelists in the registry. It is, IMHO, completely appropriate to clear those whenever desired.

Of course, if one does not know what one is doing, or blindly accepts the results of the registry scan (which could be synonymous with not knowing what one is doing, perhaps), then a registry cleaner can be a dangerous implement indeed.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

in some cases they can be usefull but in general people use them because they are told that cluttering the registry could harm your system and invoke crashes or at least has impact on performance.I will tell you its a complete myth,there is no scientific evidence that cleaning will improve performance and stability. All these leftovers will not harm you but cleaners definatily can.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Me too - which is why I still drive a horse and buggy and live in a log cabin.:cautious:

5. Sam Hell

Sam Hell Registered Member

Has anyone tried Ncleaner from NKProds?
    After having to do a full system restore from D: on HP Pavillion XP SP2
    I used Revo, Ccleaner & Ncleaner to clean up old junk before I load up more.:cautious:

Nclean seems way more robust at reg cleaning than Cclean, but it is not a dedicated
    regcleaner. Had issues with unrelated components (for instance, I had to configure to
    disable services twice before settings took).
    Before I got to try the free space wipe the prog refused to open so I uninstalled. :(

Just curious what anybody who has tried it thinks about this one.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have tried using a registry cleaner three times and each time I ended up having to reinstall my OS. I now use the registry scan with Ccleaner and then run Advanced Windows Care for additional safe registry fixes. But I also use Returnil and I think it is awesome! In addition, there are certain programs like Winrar, hjsplit and some others that I only install over top of Returnil. I think that helps to keep everything cleaner and running more efficiently.

7. Long View

A new machine I have just set up without any Reg Cleaners being used reboots in 1 minute 18 seconds. Having installed and run Advanced Windows Care v2 ( free version) it now reboots in 55 seconds. Not a massive difference but anyone who thinks that freshly installed programs are not in need of cleaning and optimizing might want to reconsider.

8. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Just downloaded a program called Reg Cure by Pareto Logic Inc.; has anyone heard of or used the program? After what I have read from other forum members I doubt very much if I will ever use a registry cleaning program but thought I would ask anyway. My system, knock on wood, is performing very well and I would hate to risk fouling it up by using the program especially when I don't have a really good reason to do so. All replies or suggestions will be appreciated as always. Thanks in advance for your reply.

John

9. Long View

If you are going to reg clean then you need to have an imaging program to allow you to restore your machine if anything goes wrong. Windows restore is just not good enough. Every so often I find that a test program removes something I need to keep. It is easy enough to exclude the change but a means is needed to return the machine to its previous state.

10. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Not necessarily. JV16 PowerTools and RegSupreme Pro have their own little backup system for that.

I've been using them for years, on different systems and to my full satisfaction. Nothing ever went wrong, never even needed the backup.

http://www.macecraft.com/

11. Long View

JV16 has matured greatly in the last few years. even so changes can be made which cannot always be restored by the backups that these programs provide.
    also some errors don't alawsy appear immediately making the backups of little use. a while ago a program decided that one of my virtual printers wasn't really needed. Restoring an image was by far in a way the easiest solution. In any event anyone who doesn't have an image of C: OS + programs and D: data could do with image protection in my view

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.