Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TomAZ, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The left over files and registry keys usually do not matter so it's not important to clean them. If you do want to, the best option is something like Advanced Uninstaller or Ashampoo Uninstaller which monitor all changes to the system made when you install a program, and can delete all the added files and registry keys when you use them to remove the program. A less through option is using Geek Uninstaller or Revo which will do their best to find any leftover files and registry keys when you uninstall software.

2. Sandunes

Sandunes Registered Member

In that case we should be able to get back to a fresh OS install speed by uninstalling all programs we added. Has anyone compared the speed of those two options?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You mean three options, it's not as if cleaning the files and registry is the same as fresh install. The fresh install will of course be the fastest, but using only the built-in uninstaller will have little difference to cleaning up afterwards, unless it doesn't work properly.

Cleaning the files are one thing I do support, but the registry is not to be touched unless something is actually wrong with it. Otherwise you have great risk for negligible reward, unless you frequent the database.

When there's something wrong, I use a registry editor to fix it manually. Automated tools are best used for specific issues if you're certain that is the problem you have. Trying to fix what's not broken for no visible gains is simply pointless.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

IMHO one should test software by using VirtualBox (or similar), Toolwiz Time Freeze (or similar), Sandboxie (or similar), creating and restoring images with Macrium Reflect (or similar), or SysRestore (or similar).

5. spencerp

spencerp Guest

What I do is remove un-needed programs with "Revo Uninstaller". During uninstalling process, I select to remove registry traces for that program that I'm uninstalling. It also removes other traces for the program as well. Revo Uninstaller is free too unless you choose other features or whatever.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

I found out the hard way before, using those registry cleaners only caused me more issues or made things 10x worse for me. I haven't used a registry cleaner in years now, cause it caused more headaches than not.

6. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I typically use a gentle registry cleaner and defragger to make me feel good. It's fun!

Since I test all my software out in VM or on another machine I don't have to do a lot of uninstalls on my working systems. And thus have little need to keep track of slop and leftovers.

There are times I'll edit and manually delete or add things for problem fixing and all that. And of course everything is documented or backed-up.

7. Sandunes

Why is a fresh install faster than than an OS with previously added software removed? What has changed to decrease the OS speed?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

By fresh install, I usually think of that as from a generic Windows installation DVD. Then you install Windows Updates, your favourite programs, and modify Windows in many other ways.

Therefore, it's usually slower unless you stripped out unnecessary components.

9. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Could using Advanced Uninstaller help if you were trying to recover and undo changes made by a downloaded and installed app like ccleaner which was downloaded with some Malware with it?

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I totally agree.A fresh windows install is fast but not fastest.I usually disable transparent glass and a few other eye candys and disable windows search on windows 7 and the results are quite noticable on an i3 down

11. Sandunes

I was comparing a fresh install (no tweaking) vs an old installation with all user added software removed (no tweaking). In the end is one faster than the other?

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Like I said, the fresh installation. Your old installation includes many more changes than software installed or tweaking, like Windows Updates and all the new data Windows stores. Then of course there are remnants, but most leftover registry entries make no difference in performance.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It would be best to use antivirus software and Malwarebytes to clean the infections.

14. Sandunes

For the sake of discussion say its a fresh install with the exact same updates as the roll back.

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Honestly, I'm not sure about that one nor do I see the point of trying to find out. Plus, this is getting out of topic and my point has already gotten across. So no more to add unfortunately.

16. Sandunes

What was your point again?

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Third post of this thread. It had everything to do with the thread title instead of fresh installation.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When I was using XP extensively in its heyday I could see clearly that defragmenting and cleaning the registry (I was using Jv 16 PowerTools) would speed up the OS. Already with Vista I couldn't see any change whatsoever in performance by either defragmenting or cleaning the registry.

I do agree however that for people who install software daily as a hobby, to have a look at the registry for specific entries that might cause conflicts, it could be a way to avoid them. To check the registry for specific issues is incredibly boring, and it is perhaps quicker in the long run to use backup images, or use Windows' own System Restore which is much better in Vista, Win 7/8.

19. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

So theres no real need to mess with the registry as doing so could mess-up your system in some way.

Cleaning the registry has little or no effect on system performance, long term anyway.

If you must use a registry cleaner then use ccleaner as it`s been used by many people over the years to no great ill effect.

If all the above are true, then all other programs of this type are dangerous scareware/placeboware junk and best avoided.

20. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Could one virtualize the applications instead of installing them normally? I see that there are various programs that will do that.

21. Sandunes

There is one reason. All other things being equal, if there is a difference in speed then we know it's because of changes to the registry as it would be the only significant difference between a fresh install with updates and drivers when compared to a rollback which removed all user installed software.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Oh there are more traces than just the registry. Drivers, services, files, settings (like INI), and even processes may remain. If you want to fix the registry, do it manually or with the tool made for your specific problem.

@taotoo: Sandboxie, VirtualBox, Cameyo. Three different kinds of software that can do the job. Tell me which you prefer for more alternatives.

@Behold Eck: I actually had file association errors after using CCleaner. It may be safer, but none of them are safe. Without the patience of understanding and researching every single entry, don't even think about it.

23. Sandunes

No reason for drivers, services, or any other non OS process to be left after removal by a properly written uninstaller. Of course there is no denying that some software doesn't delete everything. The INI files no longer play a role in Win7/8 so nothing there to slow things down.

Working on putting together a test case.

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yet somehow you fail to mention registry not being left over by a properly written installer. INI is only one example, there are plenty more non-registry settings like XML.

Well, I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove to go as far as a test case?

25. Sandunes

The registry is the obvious difference. The wisdom shared here is that old entries in the registry don't contribute to significant slowdown. XML files are irrelevant unless the OS is reading them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.