Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jodell Bumatai, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodell Bumatai

Jodell Bumatai Registered Member

Okay, I have been clearing and cleaning my Registry for more years than I want to think about. I have tools such RegSupreme Pro and Registry Drill. I did not ever like Registry Mechanic over the years of trying the demos several times although I really like WinGuides Tweak Manager - by the same company. I also did not like most of the seemingly simplified Registry Cleaners out there. I abhore vs. hate those comparison adds that give no real information about what is real and true about software. So...

What is the scoop? What Registry Tools are You All Using?

TIA

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Take a look at this poll Jodell Bumatai.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

System TuneUp from Acelogix-

http://www.acelogix.com/index.html

(If you are currently using another paid program they may have a competitive upgrade available. I emailed them and got a license for $15)

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

You'll notice (from the poll) that the heavies are:

Ccleaner, Tune-Up 2006-07, JV-16 2006-07.

Since you're using Reg-Supreme Pro, lets eliminate Jv-16.
    Ccleaner (IMO) is a better file as opposed to reg cleaner

That leaves Tune-Up. They have a 30Day trial. You have nothing to loose by giving this app a shot. I use TU-2007 in conjunction w/ JV-16 and I've not had a problem. Both find different issues.

Obviously no registry cleaner should be given carte-blanc, so you'll still need to investigate what you want to delete, clean, fix.

...screamer

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Using Ace Utilities here.

6. sonic6k

sonic6k Registered Member

I use RegCleaner and it does a very good job, and it is freeware.. RegCleaner's successor is RegSupreme, and RegCleaner isn't officially distributed anymore. However, you can download RegCleaner from www.321download.com

7. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Another vote for Ace Utilities

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I admit I look at them from time to time. Trying to decide if I should get one first of all because I keep hearing a voice in my head saying "Danger Will Robinson danger." I do hear a lot of good things about ACE Utilities and the Regsupreme lineup though.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I only need a registry cleaner, if Total Uninstall failed to uninstall a software completely and that usage is so rare, that I better don't use a registry cleaner at all.

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I rely mostly on freeware registry cleaners except RegSupreme Pro because i don't see the Logic in going too far in investing with commercial offers that might damage or destroy my system. Pay to wreck your good machine?

I had it happen more than a few times and again just recently on my FD-ISR archives that fudged the references and forced the system into CHKDSK which done them in. Lucky for me FD-ISR made some more copies.

11. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

Track thru the polls and comments, agree with some, regarding how some cleaners are rather agressive etc. I was recently searching for a program that allows me to uninstall program uncompletely. As usual, when uninstall a program, it leaves some registry entries, and if i install same program again, it will remember some of the options i have previously choose, which can be good or bad, but i hope to have the means of knowing what are the entries install by a program, so when i uninstall it, i can specifically remove these entries only... instead of norm cleaners which scan the entrie registry entries.

any such programs out there?

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use 4. My OS is Win XP SP2 VLK.

#1 - TuneUp Utilities 2007. Trust it 100%

#2 - RegCleaner 4.3.780. The predecessor of jv16 & RegSupreme. Trust it 100%. And that can't be said by me of it's successors.

#3 - System TuneUp. The predecessor of Ace Utilities. Trust it 100%.

#4 - Registry Booster by Uniblue. This was recommended on another forum for some registry .dll problem no other program would fix, not even manual editing of the registry. Worked a treat. Trust it 98%.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

IF I get one it would be either ACE Utilities or one of the Macecraft products jv16 or RegSupreme so I'd be interested if you could expand on your reasons for mistrusting them somewhat.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Given your druthers, I vote System TuneUp. Ace Utilities & System TuneUp are both by Acelogix.

"System TuneUp is a modified version of our product - "Ace Utilities". It has a new user-interface and will only work on systems using Windows XP or above."

As far as jv16 or RegSupreme. Both are very good. But both deleted entries that were needed by my computer.

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use ccleaner and eusing registry cleaner, both are freebies and seem to work well.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Link?
    Thanks

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

RegCleaner 4.3.0.780
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=460
    RegCleaner is an easy to use program. With RegCleaner you can easily get rid of those old and obsolete registry entries created by software that you have destroyed ages ago. And by easily, I mean easily. You don´t have to be any expert to use this program.

Key Features
    Remove file types
    Remove entries of old software
    Uninstall and remove Software from the Add/Remove list
    Remove unused DLL files
    Remove unused Shared DLLs (Automatically detected)
    Automatic backup feature

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You're welcome. Always check MajorGeeks. They rule. :D

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I do try out new registry cleaner once a while. Lately I found out these are trustworthy:
    Registry Repair
    Registry First Aid Platinium
    Registry Booster

One question thou, registry booster requires a reboot after cleaning, why? no other reg cleaners have such requirement.

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

System TuneUp also requires a reboot. Guessing I'd say Registry Booster (which I also use) & System TuneUp at least need pre - Windoows access to the OS. Like I said in my original post, "#4 - Registry Booster by Uniblue. This was recommended on another forum for some registry .dll problem no other program would fix, not even manual editing of the registry. Worked a treat. Trust it 98%."

22. screamer

Perman, For registry changes to take effect, windows needs to be re-started. Although I've been told that just re-starting explorer.exe will work also.

I may be wrong though o_O

...screamer

23. screamer

I'm not sure if this will fit the bill but it's worth a look: Absolute Un-Install

http://www.glarysoft.com/absolute-uninstaller/

...screamer

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Thank you for the info re: rebooting , among the reg cleaners I have used or been using so far, including registry mechanic, tuneup utilities reg cleaner and the ones I noted on my previous post, none except registry booster reguires a reboot after cleaning. perhaps there are two tiers of registry cleaners? one requiring reboot, the other one not. Interesting indeed. can someone share your knowhow? Pros and cons between these two ranks? Or they just accomplish the same result thru different paths ?

25. screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.