RegDefend Feedback

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Jason_R0, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I believe on the right hand side of the gui it says "configure." Just above that is a dropdown list with disable on it.

2. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

It does indeed :) Thanks for the info beetlejuice69

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Well, curiosity got the best of me and patience is not my strongest suit. So, I did a bit of digging and discovered my PC did not have the "versions" registry key that it should have. So I uninstalled via Safe Mode and manually deleted my GSS folders. I then re-installed from a freshly downloaded copy of RegDefend. Whether it was my initial download or a corrupted original install, doing both seems to have me fixed. It now displays the date of my last update and now when I check for updates, it tells me I am up to date.

Thought some of you might have found this useful...

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Just to sort of confirm what you did, after installing RD again, I did the auto-update where it downloaded several updated components, after which it asked me to reboot which I did.

Following the reboot, I tried to update and was told that it was up to date.

How about updating the installer with the latest version, so an update is not required after installation ?

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I like your idea but it's very common for this to not be the case. I can't think of any web-based download of antivirus programs I've ever tested that the installer was fully up to date. (And over the last year or so, I've tried over a dozen...)

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Defenestration,

with every major update which fixes anything MAJOR, I will be doing this. For smaller things, I don't think it will be as necessary.

7. CarolHaynes

CarolHaynes Registered Member

Re: RegDefend Feedback & suggestion

I posted this a while back but there was no response or comment? Would this be possible - eg. you could change the tray icon when it is disbled o_O

8. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Re: RegDefend Feedback & suggestion

I thought it was a very good suggestion and I'd like to see that also

9. nameless1

nameless1 Guest

Up until 10 minutes ago, I would have agreed with you. But here's what I just did: I went to the tray and attempted to close one particular application (Calendarscope), but closed GSS.EXE, accidentally, instead.

Initially, I had no idea that I had terminated GSS.EXE, though after a few minutes I started wondering why I wasn't seeing alerts from AppDefend (this, because I was doing things that I knew should have caused alerts to occur).

I'm far from a newbie, and this sort of thing doesn't happen to me often. But right clicking a tray icon and selecting Exit is too easy to do, in my opinion. This is especially true given how tray icons can suddenly move, without warning (as happens when icons are created or removed).

Please add an optional exit confirmation.

10. qazu76

qazu76 Registered Member

I'd really love to see an option to remove/turn off ballon tip pop-ups for each rule. Rules which produce them by the boatload get annoying very quickly :)

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Jason,

I previously asked about unblock/undo's for RegDefend, do think you will add soon?

Thanks;)

12. tholas

tholas Registered Member

Hello to all, I'm wondering when the next version will be out or at least a fix for current version. Does anyone know?

13. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

The only one that can answer your question is Jason, and I believe he has already given us a rough time line of his plans, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=642557&postcount=7. Although this post does not specifically mention RD, there are improvements being made to it in GSS which contains both AD and RD.

14. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

I dont know if this is planned or not for the future of RegDefend but I would like to suggest a feature to RegDefend.

When you right click the icon is in system tray there is only the "exit" button. Possibly you can add an option of disable/enable registry protection (once reenabled it will continue to use the last used ghst file eg; Tony's or RegDefends Standard ghst file) and another button to configure the current ghst file.

15. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

RegDefend is soon not going to be a stand-alone app. It will become part of Ghost Security Suite. This app is in beta now and it already has this feature incorporated. You can read more about the GSS beta HERE. This thread talks about the beta release of AppDefend which is also incorporated into GSS. You may pick and choose which components inside of GSS you wish to run.

HTH ;) ...

16. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

Thanks puff-m-d :) Im a little behind as in what Ghost Security it doing as I just got RegDefend ;) Ill be sure to check out the link.

17. sircam

sircam Registered Member

I apprecaite this software, but there is still long way for me to seek its new feature.:doubt:

18. godzillex

godzillex Registered Member

Hello,

I have just started to use the RegDefend on my WinXP (SP2) laptop.

My earlier registry protection program was RegistryProt form DiamondCS, and it was capable of notifiying me when the MRU-Blaster was trying to insert the following data into the registry:

HKEY = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    PATH = Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    Name = MRUBlaster
    Data = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\indexcleaner.exe -CC

However, RegDefend does not notify me of this activity at all!

Is the reason perhaps configuration related?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  19. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

godzillex, why don't you start a new thread regarding this issue..

i don't know what to tell you about regdefend's not flagging MRUBlaster the way that you think that it should..

p.s. i use mru-blaster, but i am not seeing anything in mru-blaster's settings about removing index.dat files.. i don't have mru-blaster running in realtime..

i have another program that can remove index.dat files.. i ran the program to delete the index.dat file(s), and it was logged in regdefend's log.. i had already created a rule to allow the regkey changes.. on my computer, running win xpsp2, the regkeys used for deleting the index.dat file(s) were showing "pendingfilerenameoperations"..

also, if you have already created an "always allow" rule for the regkey that you are asking about, then that could be why it is not asking you about the regkey every time that you bootup..

20. godzillex

Because this is exactly the thread that GSS linked to when I pressed the "Submit Feedback" button.
    I am sure that the developer had a reason for doing that.

Part of the reason for running RegDefend is to monitor the processes which attempt to write to various 'autostart' locations in the registry.
    MRU-Blaster is one such process in which RegDefend fails to do its job. I want to know why.

If you were to activate both of MRU-Blaster's plugins (Cookie-Blaster, and IE Temporary Internet File Cleaner), you'll be able to see the following entry in your registry:
    C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\indexcleaner.exe -CC which is located in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive, under Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Can someone explain why my regdefend key only works for Appdefend's Regdefend and not the standalone regdefend version? I don't want to use appdefend , just the standard regdefend.

dja2k

22. berng

berng Registered Member

Everyone will eventually end up with the new Ghost suite which supports both Appdefend and Regdefend. Jason stated that you can disable Appdefend and then there is no overhead over the old standalone Regdefend application.

I don't know why your Regdefend key does not work on the old version. Mine worked on both.

23. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

If I remember correctly, Appdefend uses two gss.exe files running and the regular regdefend only uses one.

dja2k

24. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The two instances of GSS.exe shown in task manager are in fact to do withh GSS self protection, you can see this if you use process explorer and use it's tree view.

GSS uses a unified driver for both AppDefend and RegDefend :)

HTH Pilli

25. godzillex

Hello redwolfe,

Thanks for your input. Yes, CCleaner is one such program which causes the "pendingfilerenameoperations" to show up in the registry.

I had not set the "always allow" rule. Regdefend never caught the registry modification to begin with, and as a result never gave me a choice to make that decision.

Something interesting happend today though!
    Almost three days after its installation, Regdefend for the first (and only time), caught the MRU-Blaster's attempt to modify the registry and notified me about it!
    However, on all the subsequent system reboots, Regdefend failed again to catch that registry modification made by the MRU-Blaster.
    Yet, RegistryProt (from DiamodCS) caught the change everytime.

I wish the developer would address this inconsistent behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.