Red Window continuously popping up saying address blocked

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jizzyisme, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jizzyisme

jizzyisme Registered Member

Hi everyone...new to this.

I clicked on a dodgy website accidentally and now every few minutes my ESET keeps popping up with a red window saying "address blocked"

This is what the window contains:

Address has been blocked

URL address:

~ Removed URL & IP Address - ESET Will Be Informed! ~

Can anyone tell me why it keeps popping up? Did I get a virus? If i do what kind is it? I ran a scan and it said the computer was clean...sigh

Thanks alot in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  2. LtDan

LtDan Registered Member

I have had that all last week, you have something. Mine was an app that goes by the name of Whitesmoke. Do a windows search for that. After constant red box alerts there is nothing in the NOD 32 information log regarding these constant alert flags. This has been going on for weeks now with me. Had to boot into Safe Mode and use another product to find it, and clear it.

3. jizzyisme

But how do I find out what I have and how do I go about eliminating it? I'm completely clueless as to these sorts of things

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

jizzyisme, first, welcome to Wilders!

If you can't wait for an ESET moderator to answer your question, perhaps a review of If you are currently infected, plus seeking dedicated help in any of the sites listed there is in order. Otherwise, keep in an eye on this thread, until someone from ESET logs in.

5. jizzyisme

no problem, thanks...um yes, I will wait for a response from an ESET moderator because I'm quite a bit worried about my computer now... :(

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you haven't contacted customer care for assistance yet, you can generate a SysInspector log, upload it somewhere and pm me the link so that I can check it for suspicious / potentially malicious files.

7. jizzyisme

I don't know what you mean...sorry I'm not versed in this field...

could you please explain to me exactly what you want me to do?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. Marcos

A customer care representative should ask you for a SysInspector log (can be created per the instructions here) which may reveal suspicious files installed in your system.

10. jizzyisme

Thanks...I bookmarked the SysInspector page for future reference.

I can't contact customer care because my ESET is a trial version and they ask for date of purchase. However, I needed a quick fix so I checked the forums that were suggested in a previous post in the thread and I found the Malware using Malware Bytes, it was a Trojan fradupack and FakeAlert!!!! It's gone now and the window isn't popping up anymore.

But thank you very much for recommending the other forums! Thanks for the help.

11. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting worried at the amount of times that MBAM comes to the rescue when ESET has failed?

Last week we purchased 100 copies of Prevx to sit alongside ESET, as we felt that ESET wasn't doing a good enough job. But I'm spotting a bit of a recurring theme here....

Jim

12. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Would it be possible to submit samples of the undetected threats to our virus lab as per these instructions?

This will allow us to improve detection and the heuristic engine, so that we can detect new version of the malware without even need a signature update.

Thanks.

13. jimwillsher

But how do we know what to submit? The first we know about a problem is a popup from ESET saying "site blocked" even though we're not browsing any websites. We run a scan with ESET - nothing. We then run MBAM and it finds *and cleans* the infection. So there's nothing left to submit, MBAM has removed it.

MBAM seems to find malware; ESET seems to catch viruses. Yet ESET seems to sell itself as catching both.

Just my view.

Jim

14. Marcos

You can submit the content of MBAM's quarantine ("C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Quarantine") to ESET for perusal.

15. jimwillsher

Thanks Marcos, useful to know. I'm sure we'll be hit again so I'll make sure we capture the files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.