Recovery Disk Problems

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by pumpshot, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pumpshot

pumpshot Registered Member

I am concerned that I could have trouble with the Linux Recovery CD that is provided with Back Up and Recovery 2013 free. Is there more information about how to use this? I am mostly interested in how to use the PTS Dos safe mode. I have had problems with both Linux and PE based boot disk in the past. I could only guess It was because of some hardware problems.

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If you follow the on Screen instructions, then you should be fine...BUT!!! I have to Warn you that once you commit yourself to allowing these type of programs to do whatever you ask them to, Then Please be absolutely sure you know that you wish to do so in the first place. Cancelling the process once it has started can render your drive inoperable

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

DVD+R is correct since one of the things that happens on a restore is that the original partitions are deleted so if you kill it after that happens you have a bunch of unallocated space.

Download and read the Paragon user-guide.

Since you are concerned about the rescue environment working with your PC, create the CD.

Now boot the PC with the CD which will show it works (if it does).

Create your image using the CD version of Paragon. This will demonstrate it can see your source and destination drives, read the source and write the image to the destination drive.

Verify the image with the CD version. This will demonstrate the rescue version can read the image into memory and successfully recreate the numerous checksums properly.

If all of the above works successfully you can be fairly well assured you can recover the image when necessary since you used the same environment that is used for recovery.

The absolute best test is to replace your HD with a spare test HD, restore the image and then ensure it boots and run. Using a spare HD makes the process safe because you still have your original if it fails.

A tip is to ensure all of your partitions have meaningful disk labels since you cannot rely on the drive letter assignment being the same when the CD is used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.