Recovery CD won't boot with old error "tmp/wizard.txt"-Backup & Recovery 2010

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Vera22, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vera22

Vera22 Registered Member

This is the message that I sent to Paragon hoping to get a solution. So far just the acknowledgment that I will hear from them. In the meantime maybe you guys have a fix; I researched this forum, followed suggestions but it did not work. Thanks a million.

Sir/Madam:

I am very frustrated and ~ Snipped as per TOS ~. I wasted two days already trying to make your software work and ii iit doesn't.

I am using the free version 2010 and whatever i tried, it won't work. You are aware of this bug, i found posts in forums from last year already and I don't see any fix from you. How you expect me to buy the program when even the emergency recovery cd doesn't work. I am running OS HM SP3 on a Dell inspiron 1100, 1GB RAM, 29 GB HD. I created the Recovery CD, verified it and the program said that it is ok. I backed up my hd, burned on DVD. I inserted the Recovery cd and:

1-in Normal Mode after it starts loading it stops showing "cat: can't open '/tmp/wizard.txt': No such file or directory or a lack of video memory on your computer. Please inform our support team and we can help you. If you are an experienced PC user, you can try by yourself to increase for example, the <Frame Buffer Size> setting in the <Video Configuration> part of you BIOS. It may help.

2-In Safe Mode or Low-Graphics Safe mode it starts up but after i select to restore back up, it just hangs.

I would appreciate a fast reply with the fix of this issue.

Thank you

Vera M.

PS: Here is a link to a forum discussing this issue last year and you still don't have a fix?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-258745.html

They say version 9 was working; why you don't have available that version?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

try to change Virtual Memory settings:
    * go to Start - Control Panel - System
    * go to 'Advanced' tab
    * click 'Settings' under Performance section
    * go to 'Advanced' tab
    * click 'Change' button under Virtual Memory section
    * tick 'System managed size' checkbox
    * click 'Set' button
    * click 'Apply' and 'OK'

3. Vera22

Vera22 Registered Member

Did that and no change, doesn't work. A new clue, I just re-installed Backup& recovery, burned a Recovery CD, verified it and was ok, as per Paragon software, try to boot from it...noap it did not work. I tried to use it on another laptop (lenovo) and only when I inserted it, it gave error D:\is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. That is a Sony CD-RW, which before burning Paragon, I tested it burning Recovery CD bootable using Discwizard and it worked on both laptops, so the CD is good. What is not good is the image or the burning which Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advance (my foot) does. It is clear, for me this software is of no use, I will go with Discwizard or Macrium; now it seems that both work .

Thank you.

4. Mech_An

There is separate thread here about Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced CD: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=283083
    I think, they should be related to the same reason.

Please try to save Recovery CD to ISO file (select Emulator in device list instead of your CD\DVD-Rom). By default, it is saved in C:/Program files/Paragon software/[Program Name]/iso/ and called emulator.iso.
    Then use any CD\DVD recording SW (e.g. Nero) to create CD. Check if it works correctly.

5. Vera22

Vera22 Registered Member

Mech An, I created the recovery cd as emulator, burned it on the other laptop (lenovo) with Roxio (I checked the cd before when i booted from it having Discwizard, so the CD RW is ok), put back in Dell which i want to image, checked with Paragon B&R; it said that the cd is not good, not bootable. I moved back the cd to lenovo, clicked on D, and windows says "D is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". On lenovo i am running xp pro sp3 and on dell xp HE sp3. I booted the cd on lenovo and surprise, the recovery started up. Moved back on Dell, and again the same error message starting with ...ancient bootloader... undefined video mode number 314 and ...tmp/wizard.txt.

I think there are two issues here
    1-an incompatibility between my Dells video hardware and Paragon image.iso
    2-Paragon image.iso is messed up, because even on lenovo, a 2 year old machine with 2.16 GHz, 4GB RAM, 225 HD, it gives errors.

Conclusion, I will check the forum every 6 months maybe Paragon will be capable to come out with a workable software.

Thank you so much.

6. Mech_An

Vera22,

"Ancient Bootloader" means that Linux-based environment is not compatible with your Hardware on Dell.

The alternative is to use WinPE CD (for B&R Home and Suite) or create Bart'sPE CD. Please have a look at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771.

Do you use Free version or Home\Suite?

7. Vera22

Vera22 Registered Member

Oh, ok, thank you, nice going Paragon. After how many days wasted, finally I find out something from you, thank you so much. Do they have that info on their FAQ?

Regarding the "famous" or for me infamous BartPE, thanks, no thanks, I wasted too much time last year with this junk, I tried briefly once last week also, that stuff never worked. If you know a place where to download the image of that thingy, just install and go, please let me know, otherwise to go through all that process..., noap, not for me. I use the free version and I will try WinPE, whatever that is, but seems similar with BartPE and I read that people have problem with WinPE also.

Thank you for all your help.

8. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Unfortunately, since BartPE and WinPE both contain licensed Microsoft products, they cannot be freely distributed. This is why BartPE must be built on your own, using your own properly licensed Windows XP (or server 2003) software.

This is also why WinPE is only provided in our paid products, and is unavailable for our giveaways.

9. Vera22

Vera22 Registered Member

I tried to creat and boot with WINPE but I did not succeed.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.