Recovering True Crypt container file

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by sync2k, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sync2k

sync2k Registered Member

Hi,

I came across this forum while searching on Google on methods to recover a True Crypt container file that was accidentally deleted from my hard disk. I hope you guys can help me out here.

I have a 80GB hard disk which has been divided into 2 partitions, C: and D: respectively. My True Crypt container is 15GB stored in the D:. I accidentally deleted the container file but I have made a backup copy of this container file about a year ago.

I used WinHex to examine the header of the backup of the container file and copied the first 5MB of the hex data in the backup container file and searched through my D: for the same hex data. To my surprise, I found 3 hits while searching through the partition. I also found out that all of the offsets which point to the same hex data from the backup container file does not contain a continuous blocks of random data. I was expecting to be lucky to find 15GB of continuous blocks of data from these offsets. I suppose the deleted container file is fragmented into several parts in my hard disk which contains 2 different partitions as I mentioned earlier.

http://imgur.com/PcZLjFt - A picture of the search results. 3 hits containing matches to the first 5MB of the hex data in the backup container file that I made last year

I have tried to recover 15GB blocks of data from these 3 different offsets and I was able to load and mount the container files from these 3 different offsets. I was able to enter my password in True Crypt and mount the recovered container files but once I tried to access the drives, I encountered the error "X:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" for the first 2 container files and on the last container file, I encountered an error "The disk in drive X is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

My question is, have I done anything wrong in trying to recover my deleted True Crypt container file? Any help is appreciated.

2. sync2k

sync2k Registered Member

Any help or advise is appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.