Recovering an encrypted OS

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by nobodyspecial1, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobodyspecial1

nobodyspecial1 Registered Member

I think this is the right place to post this...

I've a bit of a problem and I've ran out of ideas. I'm sure there's an easy solution out there somewhere but I just can't think of anything.

Basically, a few years ago I was playing with Drivecrypt Plus Pack and installed XP and fully encrypted the partition and used bootauth. This means to access my data I had to input a password on boot or it wouldn't let me read anything and windows wouldn't load.

I still know the password I used so I can still get XP to start loading but because I don't have the machine that it was created on I get a blue screen (stop error) and it reboots.

Normally without encryption you could run a repair from the XP cd and it would fix this but with encrypted OS this isn't possible.

The only thing I can think of to get access to my old data is to somehow source the same board I used back then, but that's a bit extreme! I have tried VMWARE to boot the disk and I have tried all the standard boot options (safe mode etc.) but with no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions of anything I could try they would be greatly welcomed :)

Thanks in advance
    NS

2. box750

box750 Registered Member

If I understand it corretly you have taken out your HDD with Windows XP from an old computer and placed it into a different motherboard (changing the CPU,graphics card,audio card at the same time).

There should be a driver problem there, and if that Windows XP was an OEM version it will not work on any other computer other than the one it came with. My guess is that you are getting a blue screen of death due to the driver problem.

I can't think of any solution for that, I just wanted to point out what I think it is the reason for Windows XP crashing and if I am correct and it is a driver problem then the repair option would not work neither.

3. nobodyspecial1

nobodyspecial1 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. Usually when it's a controller driver issue you get an inaccessible boot device BSOD but in this case it's a stop error. I'm still pretty sure this is the reason why it's not booting. The board it was installed on was an Abit KG7R which I am trying to locate (on the cheap if possible!!) so I can decrypt my data. If anyone has one spare or if anyone has any ideas then I'd love to hear from you :)

Thanks

PS Windows repair usually will let you boot XP on another board but non-corporate versions will probably require reactivation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.