Recommend me a "run safer" program or dedicated h.i.p.s. ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chrome_sturmen, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Well i'm using outpost firewall, I tried installing online armor to use it's h.i.p.s. but there's a conflict between it and outpost, outpost doesn't run when online armor is installed, so i can't use online armor.

What i'm looking for is a program that will allow me to "run safer" applications of my choosing, either that or a dedicated h.i.p.s. since i couldn't use online armor.

-defensewall doesn't run well on my system, so thanks, but please don't recommend that.

Thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance :thumb:

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

As you already using outpost how about winpatrol or even spy shelter? if you willing to spare few bucks spy shelter premium is awesome...:thumb:

3. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I use a program called SetSafer to lower the rights of applications. You could also use DropMyRights. I used to use it before finding SetSafer. Both programs are pretty simple to use.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if Spyshelter is so awesome why aren't you using it?
    as per your signature reveals. ;)

5. Kernelwars

I do use it.. Just too lazy to put everything if you talking about my signature line.. PeaCE:cool:

6. moontan

fair enough. :)

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you are using XP or Vista, you can use SRP to start programs as a "Basic User", which is what DropMyRights does. You can set a path rule to the .exe and it will force it to start restricted.

If you are using win7, you don't have this option, as the "Basic User" is there but no longer works. SRP is allow or deny only in win7.

In win7 and vista you can set the Integrity Level of specific programs. This is similar to what DropMyRights does, but not the same. Anyway, an Integrity Level (IL) is defined as :
    High = admin level
    Medium = user level
    Low = restricted (less than user)

I have made a few different tools that employ the same methods DropMyRights does. I used to use what I called Safer_Zone all the time on XP. It works on win7, but I am playing with other things now.

http://mrwoojoo.com/sg/index.htm

You did not state what OS you use this on though ;)

Sul.

8. Kernelwars

Keyscrambler free or spyshelter free version..

9. chrome_sturmen

thanks for all the responses gents - im a strong proponent of sandboxie, ive been using it for years, but i only use it for web browsing, other programs i want protection for i think are somewhat impractical to sandbox. with an h.i.p.s. once i allow a program to run, if malware funneled through it i'd still get infected without a realtime av, thats why im looking at a "run safer" concept, for programs like my email client, messaging client, pdf reader, and so on.

thanks!

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The answer is simple. Uninstall Outpost FW. Install OA firewall. Run Safer is right there for all your internet-facing apps.

11. chrome_sturmen

seemingly simple, and while i recognize online armor firewall as one of the best, after using outpost firewall for years, its like an extension of myself, i prefer to stick with it *puppy*

12. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

UAC is good! :thumb: :thumb:

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

What's the OS you're using? If it's Vista or Win7 and you didn't disable UAC, then you're already running as a 'partial' standard user or as a 'half-baked' admin:p And that itself is a form of 'run safer' if you hadn't realized it.

If you're willing to try it though, run as a full limited user and you've covered a stronger "run safer" system-wide (as in it requires credential/password when the UAC prompts you). As some programs require admin rights, the transition wouldn't be smooth initially and I can assure that you're gonna get frustrated working things out but there do exist a few workarounds. Once you get the hang of things and adapt yourself to the new environment, you'll appreciate the beauty of having a "run safer" system-wide without any 3rd-party tools and eventually, learn to 'swallow' it's few glitches (thanks to MS for making it complicated that is)

If you're running XP, then there's this tool called SuRun mentioned on this forum which gives the UAC-like feature but with a choice to 'remember my option'.

14. moontan

i run Win 7 as an Admin.

i tried UAC but i didn't like having some functions disabled.
    like not being able for instance to right-click and create a notepad file in some folders or not seeing the "more options" tab in Disk Cleanup etc...

the less hair pulling the better, imo.

15. moontan

well,

tnx to you folks i did some research about "Drop my Rights" and i only use it to run only my Internet facing apps.

i get pretty much all the benefits of running as an Admin without the bloody headaches. :thumb:

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You might also try setting the Integrity Level to Medium on your browser and then do your tests to make sure it behaves as expected. A Medium IL will give it the rights of a user. The best part of this approach over DropMyRights is that once you assign it, you don't have to use a special shortcut or anything. It is always 'forced' to use lower credentials.

Sul.

17. moontan

tnx Sully, i'll look into it.

18. moontan

i looked into it.
    it seemed a little too technical for me.
    so i uninstalled Avast and re-installed Geswall :D

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good choice man:)

20. moontan

beforehand, i did try DropMyRights but looking at Process Explorer it did not seem to make one bit of difference: Google Chrome "childs" (tabs i assume) were running on Low as usual while the "Parent" was on high.

things are much simpler for me with either Geswall or Defensewall.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very true:)

22. Kernelwars

23. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I halfway suspected as much, chrome_sturmen. :)
    It just seemed an easy solution to me.
    As long as you have something there that works great for you (Outpost), there isn't any good reasoon for you to change it out for OA.
    Good luck in your search for a Run Safer candidate.

25. chrome_sturmen

well it all became a moot point in the end, the finance company came and repossessed my laptop today, im typing this from the library :oops:

j/k, actually, i did a fresh install of both outpost firewall and online armor, and now they're working perfectly side by side (go figure) so now i can use online armor for it's h.i.p.s. and "run safer", and outpost for my firewall. worthy of note, is that i use outpost firewall's h.i.p.s. to a limited extent, i use it to protect sensitive areas of my registry, since online armor doesn't protect registry. all other h.i.p.s. components of outpost firewall are disabled, allowing online armor to do it's job :D

thanks again:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.