Real firewall without HIPS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although not using it now I always found LooknStop easy to use. The other one that I used with perfect satisfaction was Kerio 2.1.5. I am not really sure why one wants a HIPS firewall or does not want one.
    In my ignorance it would seem that a HIPS firewall would do all a pure firewall would do plus the HIPS.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Thanks. I ran that file through Anubis and here is the report-
    http://anubis.iseclab.org/?action=result&task_id=1b172dca6bbbccec459aeff84e6cf67e7&format=html

Here is Threat Expert-
    http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=1f4932867be2337c9bf19542f9ec0a5d

The md5 is 1f4932867be2337c9bf19542f9ec0a5d and can be found on virustotal as scanned before.

Look clean?

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

@acr1965: I have an original copy of Jetico 1 that I can compare the md5s for you. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here at work right now, so I'll do it when I get home.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

That is the correct checksum for Jetico V1 (verified on file downloaded from vendors site when it was available).

- Stem

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

My copy is the same MD5 as well.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

7. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

IMO Malware Defender is an option which doesn't come up often enough. OK, so there's nothing in there by default but you can leave the Windows firewall enabled, learn what MD's capable of and then add your rules as you go along. The configuration possibilities are endless. It's also got logs which you can read (bonus) and protection options for the rest of your system should you feel the need to use them. It's certainly not a five minute learning job, but the end result is well worth the effort. Even comes in the top group at Matousec for anyone attaching relevance to that :)

For optimum protection, don't forget to go back and load your kernel mode threads if these fail during the install process although it will prompt you until you have.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

MD is a HIPS. Why post a HIPS suggestion in this thread, which specifically asked for a FW without HIPS?

9. rodocop

rodocop Registered Member

10. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I really like Look N Stop and of course if your using XP Kerio is great. I am a fan of Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall too although its not going to be updated anymore it currently works on XP and Vista. YOu might also try out Fort Knox Firewall, I haven't kept up with it in quite a while but I tested it about a year ago and it is similar to older Sygate firewalls. That said I don't even know if it is being updated anymore.

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

12. papasmurf

papasmurf Registered Member

Actually, they intercepted the link and it will now get you the latest file:

A newer version of Jetico Personal Firewall is available.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2009/05/15/dl_shuttlecock_25.png Download the latest version

or, Learn more about Jetico Personal Firewall

The oldversion link will still get you the old file, but watch out for any built in auto update module, lol. I have never used Jetico, so I have no knowledge of such a module in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.