Re-install XP plan.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by beckygb, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

I was looking for a support file to one of my programs and noticed I still have a lot of bits and pieces of deleted programs. Also my start-up is a disaster, and takes a long time to start up and shut down. I think it is re-install time. This time I have TI9 so after I install the basic programs and Xp tweaks I will make a permanent copy so I won’t have to do it again. I am disabled with chronic pain so i can only so much at a time and have to rest.

Here’s my plan: it takes a long time to re-install so I am planning to do it over a week. I am also concerned that with program Activation, which more and more companies are doing, could cause me problems:
    1) Full image of my main drive using IT9 then start re-installing
    2) After a while do an image of where I am on re-installing
    3 Load the original image back so I can use my computer.
    I figure I will be doing this over the next week or so.

Does anybody see a problem?

Also if I keep the same computer name will I have problems with software that requires Activation thinking I am loading to a different computer and bouncing me?

2. beckygb

Me agsin. When re-installing XP would it make sence to partition it. Right now I my laptop internal drive is a 40G, with 18G used.

If it makes sence what plan would be best?

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you do #3 you will be putting back everything that made the lappy slow in the first place ... or am I misunderstanding your intent?
    If you have all the programs (so that you can re-install them), then I would save ONLY the Data and Documents, including the IE Favorites and your Outlook Express mailboxes and addresses or for whatever email client you use.
    Then do the clean install, do all the windows updates, install your firewall, antivirus and antispyware programs - all duly updated - then make your image.

Next install all of your programs and make another image.

Next add your data, documents, etc. that you saved from the old installation, and make another image.

Now you should be where you left off, but with a faster system ... I hope.

As for partitioning, I personally, would not. Depends on what you plan to do with the second partition. If it is to save your images, I prefer an external usb drive for this. Even for backing up data I like to use an external drive.

4. beckygb

My intent is to take my time creating a clean install complete with all my programs, tweaks and data. Step 3 loading the old install temporally is until I complete the new install probably over a week. . By doing step 3 I can temporally load the old image and use my computer, and later go back to the new image to do more install work.

I want to create a complete new install over time, but still use my computer when I am not working the new install.

5. Chutsman

Okay, I get the picture ... one question ... where will you be storing the images? Sounds like a plan to me ... don't know about the activation though. But I don't think that would be a problem if you are using the Restore CDs that came with the laptop.

6. beckygb

I will be using a usb HDD for the saved images.

7. Chutsman

Just make sure that when you boot with the Acronis Bootable Rescue CD that it sees the usb drive.

By coincidence, I'm planning to do the same thing to my laptop as my programs are opening up more slowly than usual, in spite of all my anti-spyware scans and registry cleaning efforts with more than one software in each category (including anti virus).

I just haven't worked up the nerve to be without my laptop for more than a day or two. :D

Good luck with yours.

8. como

como Registered Member

After making a image of your drive and before you start reinstalling your operating system make a boot cd or floppies from within TI and boot from it or them, to make sure that your USB drive can be "seen" by TI and run the check image wizard to make sure your image is not corrupted. Then carry out a dummy restore, you are able to take all the steps necessary for a full restore, as long as you don't click on proceed on the last screen.

Some people have reported problems with TI not being able to see their USB drive

9. SteveR

SteveR Registered Member

I use several bits of software that require activation - Photoshop, Macromedia Studio 8 and so on. The companies go to great lengths to make it easy, and in my personal experience they have succeeded.

I think it would only be an issue if you were to try and activate the software over and over in a relatively short space of time. Possibly in some instances the activation detects a change in hardware also. Worst case scenario, if there is a problem just call them on the number provided (usually!). Never had to resort to this though - but I know people who have and it was easy to sort.

From what I read in this thread I doubt you will have any problems. Get you internet connection up and running, then install your software, activate it during installation - should be cool :)

Best regards
    Steve

10. beckygb

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I am very fortunate that I have not had a problem restoring from my Seagate usb HDD. I have tried tweaks and/or programs and some I immediately didn’t like or it messed with my system. In those cases I did a restore. I have successively restored from TI8 and 9 rescue CDs, BartPE w/ TI8 plug-in, and from within windows. BartPE seemed to work the fastest.

So the confidence factor is very high.

If I decide to partition my internal drive, it would be partition 1, the OS; partition 2 programs, and part 3 data. or part 1 os and programs, and part 2 data. But I think it maybe more trouble than it is worth.

11. Jason Miller

Jason Miller Registered Member

Do you have a good spyware and adware program. Some are very good at preventing these things from getting into your computer and others are very good at getting them out. These two things are the the number one cause of computer slow downs. The more syware and adware you get into your computer, the slower it will run. The long boot time is because all these junk programs are starting up to send out everything you do and everywhere you go on the internet to the website that put this garbage in your computer. I use Webroot Spy Sweeper and it works great. The yearly fee is worth it. There are other free ones to clean out this stuff from your computer. I hope you have them and use them often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.