raxco perfectdisk 8.0 problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by gbp007, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbp007

gbp007 Registered Member

Everytime i do a defrag at the end , i get a summary saying "perfectdisk recommends performing a smartplacement defragmentation pass based on free space fragmentation"

So i click yes and does the defrag again and i still get that message..I even do the offline boot time defrag and then run the regular defrag again and i still get the recomendation also..Can somebody help me out ?

I have vista 32 bit ultimate and im running perfectdisk 8.0 build 64..

here is what i mean below -

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7928/untitledjw9.th.jpg

2. bettywont

bettywont Registered Member

Perhaps this will help:Do a checkdisk first,then Disk cleanup and the the ''offline'' with P/D and then the scan withP/D.
    Hope this helps.

3. gbp007

gbp007 Registered Member

I tried that and it didnt work...

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

In your menu - Configuration -> Drive Properties -> adjust the Rarely Modified Age and Recently Modified Age settings (I set mine to 21 and 7 days, respectively; YMMV) and make sure the Aggressive Free Space Consolidation box is ticked, and set the Fragmentation Threshold Percentage to 0.
    Offline Defrag Settings tab - make sure at least the MFT and paging file boxes are ticked.
    Go through the rest of the tabs and make sure you don't have many (if any at all) files set as excluded; it sounds like you either have some large excluded files (i.e. disk images or video files), or the percentage of excluded files to disk space used is high, or have some security software or services running that may be interfering. I disable my antivirus before I do a defrag.
    Then go to Advanced Configuration, and set the tabs to your preferences. It may take some experimentation, but you'll get it. I don't know what your setup is as far as partitioning/drives, but if you do have disk images or video files, you should consider adding a separate drive or at least a separate partition to store them.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Also depends on how much free space is available, amd, I expect. how much of tht space is contguous.

Very large files might be skipped.

6. coolbluewater

Which is why I mentioned that I didn't know what his setup was, and suggested additional drives/partitioning to store large files. Most image and .vob files are known for their inherent fragmentation.
    As far as contiguous space is concerned, it's the job of the defragmenter app to provide it, which the v8 options clearly do.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello CoolBlueWater,

I made some of the changes you sugested, & wow what a difference. Thanks!

Why this time frame, the default seems to be 60/30?

Take Care
    Rico

8. coolbluewater

You're welcome.
    The time frames I specified is what I find myself using - I figure I'll use 90+% of my apps within a 7-day period and I push my rarely used apps to a 21-day window. My XP box doesn't get used for much more than gaming, program updates and scans, so you can tweak the settings which apply to your own habits. I usually defrag 2-3 times each week, and the default settings were never adequate for me.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I shudder to ask, but do you by chance have Rollback Rx installed? or anther recovery system? :ninja: If you do, you'll be running perfect disk till the cows come home, cause it cant see the drive anymore :ninja:

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Here installed Boot Back with PD,defragging no problem !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.