Radical Departure With Returnil 2.01

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by EASTER, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In the beginning of Returnil's introduction to the PC audience at that time, much was made of how efficient and protective it was to run a Virtual Environment by way of MEMORY! I was one of the first who voiced concern if this method would prove out useful without overtaxing a PC's memory module. During first releases and runs everyone was ecstatic over this new approach and as it turns out it became abundantly clear any serious issues to this end were just concerns and nothing more.

Which leads me to this.

Making more use of the writing directly to DISK in file virtualization gradually turned welcome and now it seems RETURNIL RVS has since concentrated their core efforts more so to offer and even make accommadations to encourage use of the DISK virtualization approach.

My question comes back to MEMORY virtualization again.

COLDMOON

From your professional perspective, do you still subscribe today in much the same way you had at it's start that MEMORY virtualization is just as useful as DISK virtual, or is there still that MEMORY virtualization offers the safest method of implimenting virtual states as opposed once from the DISK feature, which seems to have gotten a huge boost in comparison?

Thank You and i look forward to your thoughts, opinions, and even findings as to which method you now favor that better preserves the Hard Drive when engaging RETURNIL whether in SESSION LOCK or SHADOW MODE?

EASTER

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Easter,
    Yes, Memory caching is actually better from a perfrmance perspective than Disk caching. The major issue however involves saving content to the real disk when using memory where there is an unacceptible risk of file damage when saving very large files or a very large number of concurrent (smaller) files.

As a reslt of this we do not allow saving of files to the real system when using memory caching and this then provides a more secure environment because of this exact restriction. Can't save to the real system = significantly lower risk of accidentally infecting yourself...

We are working to solve the issue however so I anticipate that in the future, content saving will be reintroduced as part of the memory caching feature. I cannot say exactly when this will be available due to other developmental priorities as we move forward...

Mike

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks Mike for that solid confirmation.

It's clear from your answer that the RETURNIL development team holds to the same facts now as it has before, per MEMORY VIRTUALIZATION in spite of adding versatility and variety for users who prefer DISK VIRTUALS w/ Returnil.

With that in mind i understand the limitations of saving content MEMORY ACTIVE as opposed to DISK VIRTUALIZATION and the difference between the two.

Many Happy Regards

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.